Forum OpenACS Q&A: Bugtracker cleanup in anticipation of OpenACS 5.2 release

Any volunteer help in cleaning up the bugtracker is greatly appreciated.

I will do my best to start looking at the bugtracker, including patches, and get it cleaned up.

I will need help confirming bugs still exist in OpenACS 5.2 or OpenACS 5.1.4. Anyone should be able to help out with this. If you know a bug still exists, go ahead and comment on it. It will make it easier to go through the bugtracker.

In addition submitting test cases with bug reports, or patches is incredibly helpful. If you are not sure how to write a test for a bug, post to the forums, or visit the #openacs irc channel https://openacs.org/irc/ for help.

That said, any bug reports that are reproducible are appreciated, so even if you don't have a test, please post bug reports.

If you want to submit a patch, please check out the instructions https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/patch-submission-instructions.html

I know the responsiveness to bug reports and patches is not always the best. We are working with limited resources. If you have code to submit, you can also ask for commit to the CVS tree. We almost always grant commit privileges when asked, so don't be shy. It is much more efficient to commit the code directly.

Thank you.

Also thanks to Don, the bugtracker is much faster now, and much more pleasant to spend some time with.
To test OpenACS 5.2 you'll need to check out from CVS HEAD until we branch.

If you have a cvs account

cvs -d:ext:mailto:username@cvs.openacs.org/cvsroot co openacs-4
or anonymously
cvs -d:pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org/cvsroot co openacs-4
will check out every package on HEAD.

To just get OpenACS core packages

If you have a cvs account

cvs -d:ext:mailto:username@cvs.openacs.org/cvsroot co -r HEAD acs-core
or anonymously
cvs -d:pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org/cvsroot co -r HEAD acs-core

or

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
Great initiative Dave !
Should we make this a News item so it stays visible?

If we go through the bugtracker it would be nice if any registered user would be able to set "verified on HEAD" and "resolved on HEAD" with a timestamp. Ok, we can use the "comments button" but it would be nicer if we can also filter/sort bugs, so people can jump in and see which bugs still need to be verified.

I don't see the convenient "my bugs" filter any more. Is that on purpose?

I couldn't find my own bug reports this past week nor others that might have been relevant to our problem with the Dotlrn 2.1 upgrade scripts. I miss "my bugs".

I also think it is just great that Sloan and others will work directly there, and I see this as part of our older discussion of not wanting to spread our comments too far and wide (different forums) and to achieve better coordination.

I'm wondering if we might not consider a slightly more expansive use of the bug reports to include perhaps more general commentaries.

For instance, the long listing of current bugs looks like my gmail account after a few days, and in gmail I use the "star" to flag emails that I want eventually to answer but fear will soon become lost in the dozens of emails I can get in a working working week. I'm wondering if a quick fix might be to include a similar "star" to those bugs that someone things might invite two cent opinions from the gallery, or more. In that way, someone digging into a specific feature might have the benefit of knowing others are sharing an interest and maybe even have thought about it.

Thanks!

Bruce Spear

Overview was much easier before when
- there was an RSS feed available and
- there was no forced pagination.
It is often necessary to do a "search in page",
and it's cumbersome enough to jump between "open"
and "resolved" views.
Maybe I just don't see the buttons for RSS or for
switching off pagination?
I would like to second Bruce and Matthias.

We are making a big push to get .LRN users and institutions to begin using the OpenACS bugtracker. It would help our cause if we made some minor improvements in usability.

What is the process for getting requests in and having acted upon? In other words, who in OpenACS makes the decisions on this?

Thank you for your consideration.

Matthias, the reason why we introduced pagination is due to the fact that loading the page for over 600 bugs is not feasible.

If you want to do a search on the page, please define what you want to search (what is it you usually search for when you do a full page search). Then we can add a "search" field that should do what you want in the database.

Here are the Open "bugs" marked fix for 5.2.0

https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/?format=table&f%5fcategory%5f236215=236216&f%5ffix%5ffor%5fversion=170936&project%5fid=56106&f%5fstate=7&orderby=bug%5fnumber%2cdesc

This does not include suggestions or todos.

I'll be going through and prioritizing these in the next few days.

Yeah listing all bugs is great when you have a few dozen or a couple hundred of them, but it is not at all great when you have 1500 or so of them.

Just the download and rendering time in your browser means you sit and stare for a minute or so, never mind the server processing time.

The RSS feed should come back. Was that something added for OpenACS.org that didn't make it back into our source tree?