Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #134: Change default value for RichTextEditor param in acs-templating

Roceal,

I think the existing of local custom plugins does not affect what editor is available in the core as a default. Of course if something is actually broken, we should fix it. It is not difficult to make plugins for TinyMCE or Xinha either.

I personally don't have a preference for TinyMCE or Xinha as the default. I have not evaluated which one is better for a certain purpose. I did the original work for MGH and added the newer TinyMCE because it supports translations of the TinyMCE interface.

Ok I added per widget config options. You can override any of the tinymce config elements using the same syntax.

Setting {options {editor xinha}} will override the default editor for tinymce or xinha, this already worked as it was built into the richtext widget origianlly when we still supported RTE.

I'll see if I have time to get the OacsFS plugin to work on TinyMCE.

It probably will take 2-3 hours. One good thing of these editors is the plugin architecture. Both editors are very easy to add new plugins.

Thanks Dave. I'll fix the version numbers.
Yes, the default won't affect local install preference (you can change it at any time), this boils down that the online editor it's a matter of preference. The major problem we still face with online editor is the copy/paste from word :p

Hi all,

I've updated the release notes in acs-core-docs including the right version number. (thks Dave for the upgrade)

I've added the missing message in tinymce (oacslink.desc etc.).

I've updated the doc of template::widget::richtext for tinymce. It was a bit out-of-date. It says that oacsfs scripts live at xowiki, is that still true?

Caveat: the three adp-files needed for the OpenACS file selector (insert-image, insert-ilink and file-selector) are currently part of the xowiki package, since acs-templating is per default not mounted. This is hopefully only a temporal situation and we find a better place.

I don't know if it has been moved to acs-templating but in any case, it means that to use it with xinha it needs xowiki installed or acs-templating mounted.