Forum OpenACS Development: Upgrade Notes from 5.4.3 to 5.5.0

Collapse
Posted by Tony Wieczorek on
Hi! Are there any general notes on how to upgrade an existing openacs 5.4.3 installation to the newly released 5.5.0? I've found some previous notes on upgrading here: https://openacs.org/test-doc/upgrade-5-0-dot However, that page seems to be just for individual packages, and I can't find any 5.5.0 packages listed. What's the general method you use to upgrade openacs? Do you upgrade the entire thing, or update individual packages? Thanks!
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
That procedure is pretty accurate

Here are the steps we mostly use
0) make a backup copy of your codebase and database!
1) shutdown AOLserver
2) cvs update to openacs-5-5-0-final or merge openacs-5-5-0-final code into your local install, if you have made changes.
3) start aolserver
4) Go to /acs-admin/install/ and click "Upgrade Your System" in "Install from local file system"
5) Select all of the packages you want to upgrade and proceed
6) After upgrade is complete, restart the server as indicated.

OR

4) go to /acs-admin/apm/ and click Install Packages.
5) Check off all the packages marked for upgrade.
6) Wait, then when it is done, restart AOLserver.

The second method let's you see what SQL upgrade scripts will be run etc.

Collapse
Posted by Tony Wieczorek on
Thanks very much! I think I was confused by the linked instructions because it made it sound like you could go to /acs-admin/install/ first, without having to merge your files. I was looking for the "Upgrade your system" link which I thought would grab the updated files from the repo.

Anyway, it's clear now, and thanks for the quick response.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Hi There is in
/acs-admin/install

a link to Upgrade from Repository

but it may or may not work and it will overwrite your existing files.

This is something it would be nice to test and improve if someone wants to volunteer.

Collapse
Posted by Ryan Gallimore on
I was upgrading from 5.4.3 to 5.5.0 and encountered this error:

Installing data model for Reference Data - Timezone 5.5.0...

* Loading data model c:/aolserver/servers/openacs/packages/ref-timezones/sql/postgresql/ref-timezones-create.sql...

CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION

Failed to install Reference Data - Timezone, version 5.5.0. The following error was generated:

psql:ref-timezones-create.sql:59:
ERROR: relation "timezone_seq" already exists

psql:ref-timezones-create.sql:70: ERROR: relation "timezones" already exists

psql:ref-timezones-create.sql:80: ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "arr_table_name_un" CONTEXT: SQL statement "INSERT INTO acs_reference_repositories (repository_id,table_name,internal_data_p, last_update,package_name,source, source_url,effective_date,expiry_date, maintainer_id,lob) values ( $1 , $2 , $3 , $4 , $5 , $6 , $7 , $8 , $9 , $10 , $11 )" PL/pgSQL function "acs_reference__new" line 66 at SQL statement PL/pgSQL function "acs_reference__new" line 9 at return

psql:ref-timezones-create.sql:103: ERROR: relation "timezone_rules" already exists psql:ref-timezones-create.sql:105: ERROR: relation "timezone_rules_idx1" already exists

psql:ref-timezones-create.sql:106: ERROR: relation "timezone_rules_idx2" already exists

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well it was trying to *install* not *upgrade* the package.

Why did it not think the package was installed?