Forum .LRN Q&A: Personal Learning

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
There is a concept going around of "personal learning" where the learner is the one who decides how to arrange the bits of information used in their learning. Usually on the web this takes the form of weblogs, wikis, e-portfolios, and aspects of social networking.

Here are some links:

Creation of a learning landscape: weblogging and social networking in the context of e-portfolios and the software that implements those ideas (open source) Elgg. Also see the http://elgg.net/">hosting service for Elgg.

Visual Learning Environment of the future and A roadmap for the personal learning landscape.

Collapse
2: Re: Personal Learning (response to 1)
Posted by Nick Carroll on
Hi Dave,

I'm working on an OpenACS based e-portfolio system called dotFOLIO. I will soon have enough functionality to match Elgg... thanks to the CoP package. I hope to release this application to OpenACS very soon.

For more information on dotFOLIO check out http://www.weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/projects/dotfolio/. The PDF brochure on that page has a few screen shots of dotFOLIO.

Cheers,
Nick.

Collapse
3: Re: Personal Learning (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Nick, This is awesome. We need to highlight, publicize, and market the hell out of this. Great work!!
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Collapse
5: Re: Re: Personal Learning (response to 2)
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Hi Nick,

This is wonderful news!! We hope we will be starting soon an experimental project involving students from primary schools aiming encourage them to share knowledge at the same time they develop skills on portuguese language (native language) on their writings. In this process they will be helped by their peers (another students located in other states) and sometimes teachers (with little intervenience as possible).

We are planning mediating the students interactions using dotLRN with fewer applications as possible almost blogger, RSS, trackback, forums, wp, private forums and maybe news-aggregator (colecting feeds from selected educational portals).

I explore recently some features exposed by Jeff Davis i Cop packages and return some modified files to bug-tracker (they were applied by Jeff i saw) and they are great but I really think dotFolio could be very appropriate to the kind of approach and the public the project targets.

We could join your efforts on testing dotFolio features and the appropriateness for this audiences? We are expecting launch the project this semester if everything works well on "political" side. I saw you are planning release the dotFolio beta version this month. Is this beta available now or will be sooner?

Thanks.

Collapse
6: Re: Personal Learning (response to 1)
I just need to get the related items and clipboard functionality to work before releasing it. Hopefully I can do this by the end of the week, if not in the near future.
Collapse
7: Re: Re: Personal Learning (response to 6)
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Nick,

recently i changed clipboard, related-itens and ratings to get it work in fresh install of Cop. Are you starting from these packages on HEAD to build dotFolio? I think Jeff commited the changes i made to HEAD. See

https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/patch?patch_number=654

about this issue.

Collapse
8: Re: Personal Learning (response to 1)
Orzenil, I am using those packages from HEAD. I checked it out about three weeks ago.