Forum .LRN Q&A: dotfolio.org domain name registered

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
I just registered dotfolio.org. There was a hefty premium to do so, as I was using a service that snatches up domains when they become available. Anyway, I am now the proud owner of dotfolio.org, and am now wondering what to do with it. Currently, it will be redirecting to my blog, but eventually I hope to have a site dedicated to e-portfolios. However I'm looking around for a server to host the site.

Any ideas of how this can be linked with dotlrn in the grand scheme of all things e-learning?

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Nick, This is wonderful news. Let me see if the .LRN Consortium can make this happen right away.
Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi Nick,

Solution Grove and Zill will be happy to provide you with hosting. Just shoot mailto:patrick@zill.net an email and he will set you up with a zone on one of his solarius machines. We can also help you with set up if you need it.

Thanks for your work on dotFolio!

Caroline

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
I have heard good things about dotfolio. Is a demo available online Nick?
Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Caroline & Patrick. Thanks.
Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
I have a production version of it running at http://portfolio.eng.usyd.edu.au.

I will have a demo version up and running next week. My development server has one running, but it is frequently down, so I won't use it as a demo.

Thanks Caroline, I will take up your hosting offer. I would like dotfolio.org to host the demo. Plus offer a web page about the project, etc.

The stuff that I have been working on dotfolio has mostly been infrastructure work. I think I have a suitable platform to start developing applications now.

I plan to start developing some e-portfolio specific applications for show casing work. Currently, dotfolio has a blog and file-storage apps installed by default for reflection. I wish to include a competency matrix application that conveys the level of competency achieved, with links to the evidence archived in the file-storage app. This already exists in OSPI, but I have a few cards up my sleeve that should trump their show-casing functionality.

Thank you all for your support (and patience) with this endeavour.

Cheers,
Nick.