Forum OpenACS Q&A: apache2

Collapse
9: apache2 (response to 1)
Posted by Todd Gillespie on
Julie, I have started playing with the apache2 source to see where an updated mod_nsd would fit in. Apache2 is a fairly radical departure from apache1.3, and I mean more than just threads v. processes. The module declarations have been cut in less than half, the loading mechanism has changed, and most everything up-to-and-including-the-core is written as stacks of filters permuting I/O through modules. So it's initially a bit mind-bending. Still, it's promising. I, for one, am motivated to see that happen for easier integration with some of the newer libs (eg, webdav, soap, etc) that are either in alpha or not present here in nsd-land.

Any such approach will be unwieldy for a while; several packages will need installing to match nsd's built-in api. But one should still note: Apache has just become a serious contender, one that can run with congruent semantics to aolserver, and capable of running oacs4 in a native way. This is good news for OpenACS.

Michael, I recommend the flood program available with apache2. As for the construction of the benchmark... I dunno.