Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP#140 acs-mail-lite package params for rollout support

Hi all,

Those parameters are already implemented in acs-mail-lite rollout support since 5.5 (or maybe 5.4 not sure now). The semantic of those params in OpenACS is slightly different than Nathan's ones. I kept the same semantic used by ns_sendmail for acs-mail-lite.

Regarding having ns_sendmail rollout support (implemented in acs-tcl) to use acs-mail-lite package parameters is wrong from the software architecture point of view. ns_sendmail and its rollout support are not implemented or used in acs-mail-lite. Beside, ns_sendmail users have configured the rollout support for it in the config file for years now and changing this now would just add confusion and give no benefit.

Moreover ns_sendmail is not used anymore in core or dotlrn (Don and I cleaned that up for 5.5) so there is really no point in making changes in a de facto deprecated function.

However, regarding ns_sendmail, I propose one of the following two alternatives:

Alternative 1:

- mark ns_sendmail and its rollout support as deprecated (in acs-tcl where it's implemented)

Alternative 2:

- remove ns_sendmail rollout support implementation in acs-tcl
- redefine ns_sendmail in acs-mail-lite to use acs_mail_lite::send and marking it as deprecated (sending a warning to the log when used)

I vote for alternative #2.

I'd forgotten that we had completed the task of getting rid of ns_sendmail calls cleaned out of all of core and dotlrn. I remembered working on replacing some of the calls with calls to acs_mail_lite::send, but didn't remember that we'd finished. We did good, then :)

Alternative 2 has my vote, too, it's how I'd imagined implementing daveb's suggestion (use acs_mail_lite::send, and thus use the package parameters).

Sending the warning to the log is a good idea, yes.

I agree with done. I approve alternative #2.