Forum OpenACS Development: Workerbee revamp

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Since the idea of package maintainers doesn't always seem to work. looking at the number of outstanding critical bugs, I suggest we create a bugs exchange, where bugs are turned into hours = money.

A simple example. One of my services relies on logger, and the option to set permissions. Unfortunately this function is broken, This has nothing to do with the package, but is most likely a typing error somewhere. I am more than happy to pay someone to find the error and fix it, but the current bugtracker refers to people that seem to be overwhelmed with paid customer work.

To complicate matters the problem is not the logger module or maintiner but the weerd intricacies of the permission system that fuck up the package for about 1 year, so who is to solve the problem? I think we need to create a framework to prevent this kind of confusion and set up a kind of internal job exchange. I am sure a simlpe mail or chat exchange could problems like this. I get a feeling that by simply refering issues via bugtracker without (financial) incentive is not the way forward.

I am sure many community members with hacking skills will have the creativity to solve relatively simple problems like this. Why don't we set up a claim system for unsolved bugs, and add a paypal biling feature so hackers can claim their hours at their set rate for fixing problems. I would be happy to see an option to contact a hacker, if the bug I am facing blocks my progress. The current maintainer status somehow fails to do the trick.

It might also be an interesting challenge for ICT students to subscribe to a global bux fix initiative, and make some bucks on the side by billing their hours through paypal.

Just some newbie thoughts

Ben

PS.

It may be this kind of service needs a moderator to keep track of priorities, in that case I volonteer to run the show !

All we need to do is to set up the project manager module to coordinate these kind of jobs, I volonteer to lead the pack.

Collapse
2: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi Ben
Its a pity that your post did not have a title. I think it is an important question.
This was originally one of the most important reasons of creating the dotlrn consortium. Kind of coordinating the development of the toolkit (dotlrn).
I don't think we got the model totally right with regards to what you express.

I even have the idea that large users and consultants should try to pay something to a common pool of money that is used to do all the bits that no single company/organization wants to do. In Moodle for example they pay a percent of their project cost to the Moodle guy who uses (part of) it to develop the core further.

cheers

Rafael

Collapse
4: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Rafael,

Tilte added. Glad you see the value of the idea. We are a community software intiative, so realy setting up an initaitive like this should be a piece of cake. Anyway, I am game for any solutions, and have all the time in the world to make it work.

See yo all in Barcelona next year

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
3: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Alex Kroman on
Maybe we should try posting bounties in the forums first to see if there is a paying market for the micro-development of OpenACS? Personally, seeing someone express frustration about their pet peeve bug would probably shame me into fixing it for free.

I am completely unfamiliar with the permissions system however.

Collapse
5: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Alex,

Thanks for confirming my case 😉. I would be more than happy to pay your hours. I guess Don can enlighting you in a few minutes, but as he's not privy to the problem the bug is likely to to stay on board for ages.

My basic call is that we need to integrate bugtracker with the project management module, monitored by a human bugwatch (lead in project manager), capabble to come to conclusions like this. We also need an internal jungle drum called Jabber server to communicate professionaly. I understand from Malte setting up Jabber is a nightmare, but if we can't even mange it ourselves we look like fools. This is the future of internet, we have all the integration but nobody uses it.

All we need is someone to set up a co hosted (Vserver) OACS jabber application, where user subscribe to their jabber, with a corporate decicated option. This could be the fundament of a nice virtual company. I am game and volonteer to fund the server, but I don't understand the beast.

Many basic problems are likely to be due to due to typing errors and don't need attention of uberhackers. I think student hackers can also help maintaining the documentation. If we concentrate on the latest release the doc's issue becomes pretty straight forward. So forget the past, and stick to 5.2.

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
6: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Alex Kroman on
Ben,

I think the current process is working fine. You called me out for my failure at fixing a critical bug that has been open for a year and a half. Now the wheels have begun rolling to try and figure out a fix...

Collapse
7: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi Alex,

Great. Alex it's not your failure. It's the missing link in the software. Any thoughts on how we can set up an internal billing/rewards system by Jan 2006? Maybe Thorben has a clue.

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
9: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Alex Kroman on
Why not just offer money for certain bugs in the forums or attached to a comment on the bug?
Collapse
8: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Nick Carroll on
This reminds me of the attempt to start up an OpenACS Foundation from this thread. What happened to that idea?

I like the direction that Apache and SourceForge are heading with their project donation schemes. I think the WorkerBee/Bounties initiative is a great idea.

This raises a few questions about a Foundation:

1. Who will be responsible for the Foundation? OCT? Not all of OCT are in the one country.
2. Where will it be located? Tax will be a big issue, unless someone lives in the Cayman Islands. :)
3. Could this all instead be processed through paypal? Meaning everyone creates their own paypal account and have that advertised on the openacs site somewhere? Maybe associated with a package that they prefer to maintain?

Collapse
10: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
I think a simple link to paypal invoicing in the hackers profile should be enough, and eliminate the need for central governance in the legal sense. A referal to this in the bugtracker or forum response is all that's needed. It's a simple job exchange. Any VAT issues are subject to local law between payee and service provider/hacker.

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
11: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
We have been talking for ages about setting up a project place, where people could meet and talk about enhancements / bugs as well as pledge money to the cause until a developer says I will take the amount currently pledged and develop the thing.

Cognovis applied for an EU grant to enable this and other methods for collaboration for the OpenACS community at large and all members within it.

Collapse
12: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
That's good news Malte. Any idea when we can expect an update?
cheers
Collapse
13: Re: Workerbee revamp (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
No, maybe March?