Forum OpenACS Q&A: Weblog - News aggregator - RSS integration in OACS 5.2

I am planning to use OACS in order to support weblogs for cooperating groups that publish relevant news in their weblog, selected (by dedicated members of the group) from the blog collection provided by a set of RSS news feeds. After installing 5.2, it seems that Weblogger, News Aggregator and RSS support are able to make this work. I don't succeed to make it work, however. Can anyone give me a hint (either towards some documentation I missed) or by providing an example [or by telling me it can't be done]?
Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Aernout,

The blog parameter (ADMIN) function gives you an option to activate individual RSS feeds to be created per member. Did you activate that?

There's also a parameter to create a list of individual bloggers.

Maybe this helps

Cheers
Ben

Ben, I tried this. My problem seems to be that when I click the "post this item to your weblog" button there is no weblog to specify in the resulting dropdown menue. Can you give me a hint?
Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Sorry Aernout,

I am not yet on 5.2. Can't help you there.

Aernout,

News aggregator has a parameter named "blogger_url":

"What is the URL for the lars-blogger instance we should post item content to, relative to the server root. Leave blank if no post button."

Did you already try it?

Orzenil, thank you for the tip. I tried that - but only now looked at the error log. It gives this (I copy a snippet looking relevant to me):

[11/Dec/2005:21:18:11][597.134724608][-conn:oacstest::4] Warning: nsopenssl (oacstest): SSL read interrupted: unexpected eof
[11/Dec/2005:21:27:12][597.136372224][-sched:18-] Notice: Updating news aggregator sources
[11/Dec/2005:21:27:12][597.136372224][-sched:18-] Error: invalid command name "ds_comment"
invalid command name "ds_comment"
while executing
"ds_comment "test""
(procedure "news_aggregator::source::update_all" line 5)
invoked from within
"news_aggregator::source::update_all"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval [concat [list $proc] $args]"
(procedure "ad_run_scheduled_proc" line 42)
invoked from within
"ad_run_scheduled_proc {t f 900 news_aggregator::source::update_all {} 1134329232 0 f}"
[11/Dec/2005:21:40:58][597.134723584][-conn:oacstest::2] Notice: encoding: loaded: iso8859-1
[11/Dec/2005:21:41:01][597.134724096][-conn:oacstest::3] Warning: nsopenssl (oacstest): SSL read interrupted: unexpected eof
[11/Dec/2005:21:41:02][597.134724608][-conn:oacstest::4] Warning: nsopenssl (oacstest): SSL read interrupted: unexpected eof

I am seriously out of my depth here. Hope anyone is not.

Hi Aernout,

please could you download news-aggregator from cvs now (or just file news-aggregator/tcl/source-procs.tcl) . i fixed the error relating to message

invalid command name "ds_comment"

could you try it again (of course, dont forget to reload package from apm or just restart you service)? And please continue posting bugs and comments to bugtracker so we could mantain it up to date ( i saw you posted this as bug #2713, right?)

Thanks

\Orzenil

Thanks, Orzenil - I will try that (most likely tomorrow - out here it is getting late).
As an aside...You might also want to take a look at dotfolio.org. This is a configuration of OpenACS where each user has a subsite with thier own blog and file storage.

We are using this as the starting point for a number of projects and it might be a good fit for what you are describing.