Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS on Windows

Collapse
Posted by Winny Zhang on
Hi:
I have installed Windows Installer on Windows 2003 server. I saw by-AOLServer-by, by-CygServer and PostgreSQL running under Administrative tool service. I also installed PostgreSQL Adm III. What should I do next? How to configure AOLServer? How to install the OpenACS packages? I am stuck here and really need someone who has experience on Windows to help me out.

Thanks so much.
Winny

Collapse
2: Re: OpenACS on Windows (response to 1)
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
Do you know where AOLserver was installed? The first things I'd look at are the AOLserver config file and log. The config file is TCL and specifies things like what port AOLserver listens on, what modules to load, etc.

If you don't know where AOLserver is installed, look at the command line used to start the AOLserver service from the Services snap-in - just highlight AOLserver and click the properties button in the toolbar. What is the Path to Executable listed? The -t option specifies your config file.

Look for a "log" directory where AOLserver was installed. If AOLserver has been run, there should be a file in there, probably named "server.log", that will contain information on things like whether AOLserver was able to connect to PostgreSQL. Does the log contain any errors? Does it say something like Notice: nssock: listening on 127.0.0.1:80?

If there are errors, tell us what they are. If not, try pointing your web browser at that IP address and tell us what you see.

Collapse
3: OpenACS on Windows (response to 1)
Posted by Winny Zhang on
Hi Jamie:
I don't know where AOLserver was installed. But the path to execute is "C:\OpenACS\nsd4\bin\nsd.exe" -S -s openacs-5.1.5 -t "c:\OpenACS\nsd4\binstallw.tcl".
In this file, I found
1. ns_log notice "Starting to read config file"

set home [file dirname [ns_info config]]
set bin [file dirname [info nameofexecutable]]

# Setting the following should get you going.
set server "openacs-5.1.5"
set serverdesc "Openacs"
set dbhost "127.0.0.1"
set dbname "oacs"
set dbuser "oacss"
set dbpasswd "oacss"
set hostname [ns_info hostname]
#set httpaddress [ns_info address]
set httpaddress "0.0.0.0"
set httpport "80"
set instdir "c:\\OpenACS"

ns_log notice "hostname: $hostname"
ns_log notice "address: $httpaddress:$httpport"

2. Modules to load
#
ns_section ns/server/$server/modules
foreach m [list nsdb nssock nslog nsxml nscache nssha1 nsperm] {
ns_param $m $bin/$m.dll
}

The log I found is in C:\OpenACS\nsd4\log\openacs-5.1.5.log. In this log I saw:
1.[16/Jan/2006:15:03:48][3912.192][] Notice: PostgreSQL loaded.
2.[16/Jan/2006:15:18:53][556.1800][] Notice: nssock: listening on 192.168.77.9:80
3. [16/Jan/2006:15:42:15][3244.3348][-conn:openacs-5.1.5::0] Notice: Ns_PgOpenDb(postgres): Opened connection to 127.0.0.1::oacs

The erros I have in this log are
Error: Error sending email from user-new-2.tcl Expected a 250 status line; got:
550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for mailto:zhang_w@cotahealth.ca

Error: rp_sources_filter: file "c:/OpenACS/openacs-5.1.5/www/resources/acs-templating/mktree.js" does not exists trying to serve as a normal request
Error: rp_sources_filter: file "c:/OpenACS/openacs-5.1.5/www/resources/acs-templating/mktree.js" does not exists trying to serve as a normal request
Error: rp_sources_filter: file "c:/OpenACS/openacs-5.1.5/www/resources/acs-templating/mktree.css" does not exists trying to serve as a normal request
Error: lang::message::lookup: Key 'calendar.prev_month' does not exist in en_US
Error: lang::message::lookup: Key 'calendar.next_month' does not exist in en_US
Error: rp_sources_filter: file "c:/OpenACS/openacs-5.1.5/www/resources/acs-templating/mktree.css" does not exists trying to serve as a normal request
Notice: acs-mail-lite: about to load qmail queue
Notice: queue dir = /new/*, no messages
Warning: template::form::check_elements: MISSING FORMWIDGET: department_form:department_form:formbutton:ok

In the web browser at http:\\localhost, I saw .LRN log in screen. I have regisetered and logged in. But when it's sending confirmation emails, said unable to do it.

That's what I found. Hopefully those will help you to find out what the problems are.

Thanks so much.

Winny

Collapse
4: Re: OpenACS on Windows (response to 3)
OpenACS is not able to send email because your mail server is rejecting the login. You should talk to whoever is responsible for configuring your mail server to see what restrictions they have put in place.
Collapse
5: Re: OpenACS on Windows (response to 1)
Posted by Winny Zhang on
Hi Jamie:

Our administrator read the errors and told me our email server has been set up not use status line. Because that will cause 60% of our emails rejected and that could not be changed. What should I do?

Thanks
Winny

Collapse
6: Re: Re: OpenACS on Windows (response to 5)
I think you (or your administrator) are confused about the problem.

First, please confirm that your AOLserver config file is pointing to the right mail server. Is the mail server running on the same machine as AOLserver? If not, did you configure the mail server in your AOLserver config file? (Look for the ns/parameters section in c:\OpenACS\nsd4\binstallw.tcl and tell us what you see.) The mail server setting is ns_param smtphost or ns_param mailhost.

Assuming you configured that properly, we need more information, including what mail server you are using (Exchange?) and what types of authentication it accepts.

Collapse
7: Re: OpenACS on Windows (response to 1)
Posted by Winny Zhang on
Hi Jamie:
Thank you so much. I have changed mail server setting "ns_param smtphost" in binstallw.tcl file and have no problem sending email.

Is it the time I do the testing pages? I would like to design few pages and put them on AOL server. Could you tell me how to set the virtual directory and what I need to do to go through?

Thanks a lot

Winny

Collapse
8: Re: Re: OpenACS on Windows (response to 7)
I'm glad that fixed your problem. You may want to start reading the documentation at https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-1/ if you haven't.

You could put a test page in C:\OpenACS\openacs-5.1.5\www\ and see if you can load it in your browser.

OpenACS includes many packages that offer functionality such as forums or bug tracking. You first "install" the packages that you want. This creates the database tables they need, etc. You can use the "site map" administration tool to see how various URLs map to installed packages. Look around http://192.168.77.9/acs-admin/ and http://192.168.77.9/admin/

Collapse
9: Re: OpenACS on Windows (response to 1)
Posted by Winny Zhang on
Hi Jamie:
I installed some packages I wanted. But I got errors as below. Some packages are tested OK when I mounting them. Could you please take look at the errors? The errors most are couldn't download the package. I tried to manually download, it asked to save or cancel. Do you think that will cause problems? Thanks

Error: nslog: rename(c:/openacs/nsd4/servers/openacs-5.1.5/modules/nslog/access.log, c:/openacs/nsd4/servers/openacs-5.1.5/modules/nslog/access.log.2006-01-30-00:00) failed: 'Invalid argument'

Notice: apm_load_any_changed_libraries: Reloading *-procs.tcl files in this interpreter...
Warning: last_page is 1932
Error: lang::message::lookup: Key 'new-portal.Hide_in_main_navigation' does not exist in en_US
Error: lang::message::lookup: Key 'new-portal.Hide_in_main_navigation' does not exist in en_US
Notice: dbdrv: opening database 'postgres:127.0.0.1::oacs'
Notice: Opening oacs on 127.0.0.1, port
Notice: Ns_PgOpenDb(postgres): Opened connection to 127.0.0.1::oacs.
[30/Jan/2006:14:59:22][3248.15044][-sched:12-] Notice: queue dir = /new/*, no messages
Warning: last_page is 1932

Error: Error downloading package postcard from https://openacs.org/repository/5-1/postcard-1.0.apm. Installing package failed.

Error: Error loading APM file form url https://openacs.org/repository/5-1/simple-survey-0.2d.apm: couldn't execute "gunzip": no such file or directory
couldn't execute "gunzip": no such file or directory

Collapse
Your log rename is failing because ':' is not a legal filename character. In your AOLserver config file, change to something like:
ns_section "ns/server/$server/module/nslog"
ns_param rollfmt %Y-%m-%d-%H_%M

The last real OpenACS install I did was before the mktree code was added. Do those files exist in your /packages/acs-templating/www/resources/ directory?

Do you have gunzip installed? Where? It is available as part of Cygwin. If you're having trouble installing from a .apm file, you can try checking out the package you need from CVS.

Collapse
11: Re: OpenACS on Windows (response to 1)
Posted by Winny Zhang on
Hi Jamie:

1. I changed the AOL server config file from : to _.
2. I didn't find the /packages/acs-templating/www/resources/directory. There are only two folders CVS and htmlarea under resources. Should I download the mktree code somewhere?
3. I don't know if I have gunzip installed. But I saw there are many .gz files under Cygwin/etc/setup folder. I only have Winzip. Should I download gunzip and where?

Thanks a lot