Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenACS is not working.

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
do the logs have any indication as to why it won't work?
Collapse
Posted by Mattia Righetti on
No, I've just tried to create a new package and then add it to the application in the main page. Logs are the same... I mean that they are not changed.
Collapse
Posted by Antonio Pisano on
Mattia, I've bumped my head a lot on openacs installed by Debian packages and really, it's not worth the effort. It's not that they don't work, they somehow do, but there is a lot of tweaking needed to have a properly configured instance, so that the main purpose of the package is nullified. Also, you are getting software like 5 years old now and sometimes this is noticeable.

As Gustaf suggested, try installation scripts found at
https://openacs.org/xowiki/naviserver-openacs

They assume Debian/Ubuntu as distro, so they should be perfectly suitable to your requirements, and they are also very easy to use.

For assistance you can ask here and I will gladly help you.

Ciao

Collapse
Posted by Mattia Righetti on
The problem is that with those scripts, OpenACS is installed in a strange way, perhaps because of NaviServer (that I've never used). For example it creates a user 'nsadmin' and the OpenACS directory is in /var/www/.
I always used to install OpenACS in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (and I've never used to have big problems) but now I can install on my VPS only Ubuntu 12 or 13.