Forum OpenACS Development: Re: xowiki 0.20

Collapse
40: Re: xowiki 0.20 (response to 1)
Posted by Daniël Mantione on
What is part of a good Wiki and still a bit lacking in XoWiki is vandalism fighting. I.e. a Wiki administrator must be able to review and revert changes quickly. Also some tools to block users and ip-addresses are necessary. To make XoWiki really usefull as a Wiki (as opposed to just a content management system) some attention is necessary here.
Collapse
41: Re: Re: xowiki 0.20 (response to 40)
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
vandalism fighting is more of an issue when anonymous users edit or add pages. the site administrator can define who gets edit permissions on an xowiki instance basis. oacs has means to ban users. xowiki has variuos means to locate recent modifications and keeps a history of the changes that one can switch back to earlier versions.

I am not saying that we don't need better mechanism for such purposes, but we are in a different situation than the oridinary wiki. Currently i am more thinking about making the package more powerful.

btw., the good thing of an open source project is that everyone can contribute...

Collapse
42: Re: Re: Re: xowiki 0.20 (response to 41)
Posted by Daniël Mantione on
OpenACS can ban users, but not IP-addresses. The only way to stop vandals is to require user approval before they can join which is a bit against the Wiki idea. I'll consider contributing some code.

Comparing XoWiki to MediaWiki (which is what we currently run), the latter one has functionality to revert changes directly from the recentchanges screen, and clicking on a username directly shows his contributions. This is (of course) no criticism against XoWiki, just an analysis what makes the latter one powerfull.

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on

OpenACS can ban users, but not IP-addresses. The only way to stop vandals is to require user approval before they can join which is a bit against the Wiki idea.
Good point. By looking the the increasing number of spam content on openacs.org, it looks like a good idea to ban sites (i.e. not allowing a login from banned IP-addresses or subnets) as well. The same mechanism could be used for all user-contributed content, i.e. wiki-pages, forum posts, comments on pages, oacs company listings, etc...