Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Improving .LRN project

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Nick says: "I don't think too many decisions have to be made. It is more of a resources issue. Hamilton seems to be the only developer in this community that is actively exploring AJAX in OpenACS apps. He has committed a useful ajax package that contains a few open source ajax libraries. Any package that wants to use ajax just needs to install the ajax package, and add a link in their template to point to the ajax library they want.

Where decisions need to be made is whether ad_form should be updated to use ajax, and RTE to use ajax for auto-saves. In which case, we'll need to consider linking the ajax package into the templates package."

If that's the case, then this is not a .LRN governance issue? Correct? The ad_form and RTE decision needs to follow OpenACS governance?

As for resources, it would be helpful to know precisely what resources are required to enact these decisions. We can then try to pony up resources individually or through mechanisms such as the .LRN Consortium.

I can only speak for myself. I believe incorporation of AJAX should be a priority. I support it and will try to persuade others to do the same.

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
IMHO: Moving to AJAX will be good, if we have a clear understanding and a good design of what has to be improved.
If not, this will be a new cycle of a bunch of new .LRN development with neat ideas and not a sustainable project.

Quality Assurance and Community Growth are still open issues, but we tend to focus only on technology, is easy to get distracted by shinning technology (moodle founder says!)

Be sure that any of these:
-QA
-AJAX
-Community growth
has NOTHING to do with OpenACS governance. Is about doing them.