Forum OpenACS Q&A: OCT meeting summary (26/jul/06)

- Bug-stomp, we are ready for next bug stomp session (27-28/july), a forum thread will be started soon, so people can post there in what they will work and the advances, more communication through IRC, join us!!!

- The future seems that OpenACS 6.x will not support oracle anymore, everybody is mostly working / committing / improving in PG. (this will happen within a year probably)

- Test server: seems that we have not yet achieved a real progress, more volunteers to help make the things happen!

- Coding standards: tomorrow I'll post a xo-wiki, from there people is invited to contribute.

- SVN: seems that we are still stuck with CVS for a while, until we find a volunteer to move us on... "we're committed to moving to SVN but not to any particular timeframe"

- Restore /storage at openacs.org, no volunteer yet.

- European OCT's not attending, we might move schedule???

- Project-manager post, will be good to incorporate more project-open stuff, anyways, since we are a SMALL community, we should JOIN efforts, and be more marketing aggressive (not just hackers), maybe project-open already has the infrastructure there.
https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=466918

Priority things in the short term: bug-stomps (good test cases), documentation in the wiki (xowiki), test server.

dave, don, cmeeks, vguerra, roc were at the OCT meeting.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Found guilty, if you want you can move the time, though at least I am trying to attend if not on vacation :).

I would love to read more your thoughts on the Project Manager issue, but we do not have IRC logs cached anywhere anymore. Does anyone know how to revive this?

And yes, I do agree we should join efforts, so I am in if someone else takes the lead, but previous efforts sadly did not prevail either, ending up in everyone producing their own marketing efforts.

Collapse
Posted by Frank Bergmann on
Hi Everybody,

It's funny, a few weeks ago I started receiving mails from the OCT and I thought that was a mistake, until I found that I was actually part of it. Thank you very much for your confidence!! Since that time I've spent most of my time on-site at a customer, so I had very limited possibilities to attend any OCT meeting. I promise I'll change that in the future.

For a quick reply: I'd be glad to share our "infrastructure" with the general community, for marketing or whatever. Also, there is quite some GPLed code in ]po[ that could be incorporated into the OpenACS core packages. Malte has already seen some, and is some more coming.

However, I don't think that it's really about the infrastructure. It's more about how people are motivated and who is driving the efforts. Also, "marketing" for me is about listening to "customers", understanding their needs (sorry for the bs...ing, but it's true!), more then about pushing newsletters to contacts.

Still, let's talk about it. I try to attend the next OCT meeting.

Concerning the Project Manager post: I've replied to that one before seing this thread. So please enjoy my defense speach... 😊

Cheers,
Frank

mailto:frank_dot_bergmann@project_dash_open.com
http://www.project-open.com/

Some marketing of the benefits of OpenACS is always needed, maybe is more focused for possible adopters (programmers, IT directors, users, etc.). And if any marketing will be done, that should first go into openacs.org site organization and face. See you next OCT, wednesdays 17:00GMT as usual.