Forum OpenACS Q&A: errmsg is i/o failed

Collapse
Posted by Peter Alberer on
i found quite a few errors of the following form in my server log: [16/Sep/2002:21:21:09][20313.29329414][-conn482-] Notice: RP (3357.467 ms): error in rp_handler: serving GET /tlf/images/Folien-Lektion1.pdf?image_id=24044 ad_url "/tlf/images/Folien-Lektion1.pdf" maps to file "/home/web/tlf- dev/packages/tlf-kernel/www/images/index.vuh" errmsg is i/o failed

The .vuh file just contains a call to cr_write_content, to return uploaded files. It seems as if the script works despite the error. I am not quite sure what the error message means and how it could arise. Has anyone else seen this error message?

Collapse
2: Re: errmsg is i/o failed (response to 1)
Posted by Andrew Spencer on
I am seeing this error quite a bit from heavy use of file-storage. I have not yet looked into the problem. Were you able to discover the source of the problem or a solution?
Collapse
3: Re: errmsg is i/o failed (response to 1)
Posted by Peter Alberer on
Yes the problem arises, when the user cancels the download. That causes the socket to close and aolserver cannot write to it anymore. It is nothing to worry about, and i think  the error disapeared when i changed db_exec_lob to use ns_returnfile (which is also better because it can handle if-modified-since http commands) instead of ns_writefp.
Collapse
4: Re: errmsg is i/o failed (response to 1)
Posted by Andrew Spencer on
Thank you for the information, Peter. I also found this discussed here, and it seems the general consensus is that ns_returnfile should be used in place of ns_writefp.
Collapse
5: Re: errmsg is i/o failed (response to 1)
Posted by Robert Locke on
<blockquote> i changed db_exec_lob to use ns_returnfile
</blockquote>

Was this change committed to oacs-4-6 and/or the HEAD?

Sorry, can't check right now...