Forum OpenACS Development: Re: OpenACS on ohloh

Collapse
3: Re: OpenACS on ohloh (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Yes, indeed. Maybe we should include the rotating Badge somewhere on OpenACS website (I did this on our German Info page at http://cognovis.de/openacs, just at the bottom in the middle).

Furthermore it made me wonder about the Licence issues mentioned. Did they come because we have included the Ajax Libraries? And if they did, wouldn't it be better to download them while installing Ajaxhelper instead of including them in the openacs source code base? Not to mention that the include of the ajax libraries distorts those figures, but well, who am I to argue as long as it makes us look good.

Collapse
4: Re: OpenACS on ohloh (response to 3)
Posted by Hamilton Chua on
Yes, the BSD license appears to come from the ajax libraries.

In subversion, there is something called svn::externals where upon checkout of a package we can define external sources that would be fetched and downloaded along with the other code in the repository.

It's like a symlink to other svn repositories. All of the ajax libraries use subversion. When we switch Subversion, svn:externals would be a great option.

I wonder how easy/hard it would be to write tcl procs that do the downloading and integrate them to the install callback for Ajaxhelper ?

Collapse
5: Re: OpenACS on ohloh (response to 4)
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
actually, not only: the xotcl stuff has the same license as XoTcl itself, which is BSD based. Tcl, tcllib, PostgreSQL hav a very similar license.

But, it complains only about Apache Software license, academic free license (never heard about it before) and the PHP license. i wonder, how the classification of licenses is done. if found the 4 files with the PHP license in acs-templating/www/resources/xinha-nightly/plugins/ImageManager
which are just part of the xinha tar ball and can be dropped without much harm. Where are the files with the Apache and the "academic free license"? I would like to have a button or an overview page, where one can see the license and metric values of ohloh.

if you look around, about every larger project lists some conflicts. I wonder, why distributing packages with different license from one place is a problem (all Linux distributions would have the same).