Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Spanish dotLRN translation

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Ernie,

Check this thread out: message-view?message_id=64636

I've seen it and I was wondering (I don't understand everything in english) if we have to wait or not to go on. There's some message that can't be translated, an example is the world "no": it's used as the negative (not yes) and as the "there is no ..."; we can't translate that.

In any case as you suggested, we need to agree on a common vocabulary.

Definitively, yes!

• Files: Documentos (when it's a porlet title), archivo(s) when we refer to specifics files.
Create = Alta? Crear? Añadir? (aqui creo que dependeria el caso, pero uds. me pueden decir que les parece).

I agree. Create a file is "añadir" or "crear". "Alta" is for "join a group/forum ..."

• Classes: in Spain, "Clases" is used when you go physically to a classroom, when it's online, we prefer "curso".
  • Templates: Plantillas
  • Archived: Archivados
  • FAQ: Preguntas más frecuentes
  • Subject: Asignatura
  • Departamentos: Departamentos. "Facultad" (faculty?) is a set of "departamentos".
  • Edit Pre-approved Email Servers: Editar dominios de correo pre-aprobados
  • Forums: Foros
  • Item: "Elemento" is not used. Maybe it would be better to leave it as "item".
  • Permissions: Permisos
  • Occurrences: if it's in a search context then "ocurrencias"
  • live version: Versión activa
  • Charter: privilegio (or) carta. I'm not sure. In which context did you see it?
  • Thread: hilo
  • Posting Policy: política de envío
  • View: vista
  • package instance: instancia de paquete/aplicación. Here too, it depends on the context.
  • Unapproved: no aprobado (or) sin aprobar
Moreover, I do agree with Rafael that we need to have diferent versions of Spanish adapted to countries. However, I wonder whether is best to have one generic spanish versin first or start multiple translations simultaneously. What do you think?

I agree with Rafael, me too. I think that it would be very dificult to have a generic spanish translation; it would be better to have es_ES, es_AR, etc...