Forum .LRN Q&A: Spanish dotLRN translation

Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Hey there,

I'm currently helping with the spanish dotLRN translation and I have notice that there are some other people doing it as well. Therefore, I would like to use this thread to agree with you about a common language of translation.

Just as our fellow Germans have been discussing whether to use the "You or you?" I would like to address some of these issues in Spanish.

Please if you are translating in Spanish for dotLRN please write here so we can start our conversation regarding the common language words to be used.

Muchas gracias y adios amigos,

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Jorge Garcia on
Hi from Spain, Ernie.

I'm beginning the spanish translation.

How could I help you?

/Jorge

Collapse
Jorge,

How are you? I hope you are doing fine.

When I was translating the forums, I encountered a bunch of words that I really don't know which way they should be translated. Here are a list of words that I'm not really shure which word we should use to translate:

Attachments: Archivos Adjuntos?
Body: Cuerpo del mensaje?
closed: cerrado / inhabilitado??
Confirm?: Confirmar? / Es correcto?
disable: desabilitar?
disabled: desabilitado?
Disabled Forums: Foros de discusion deshabilitados?
Email to a friend: Enviar email a terceros?
Forum: Foro de Discusión
Forum Posting: Enviando mensaje al foro de discusion (este puede que salga mas en terminos de contexto)
Fwd:: Re-enviar:?
Replies: Contestaciones?
Your Note: Su Comentario?

Words that I couldn't even start to translate 😊

Charter
Entire Thread
Users Can Create New Threads
On
One Thread
parent ID
Pending Threads
Posting Policy
reject
Threads
View
You may

I would like to hear your comments about the translated words and if you agree with those, cool. Otherwise, just let me know what other suggestion we can use.

Same as if you need help with other modules or words... Muchas gracias,

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Jorge,

Sorry I didn't see this thread before and I post my message there:
https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=61288

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi
The same way there is a Portuguese" and "Brazilian POrtuguese", should we have two Spanish (Spain, Latin American)? The differences aro often quite big, specially in computer terms. I was just looking at yahoo in spain and in argentina and they are pretty different

How about following one of these big sites as standards?

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
By the way Ernie,

I just tried posting your doubts to babelfish.altavista.com

Charter
    Entire Thread
    Users Can Create New Threads
    On
    One Thread
    parent ID
    Pending Threads
    Posting Policy
    reject
    Threads
    View
    You may

me dio:

Carta Los usuarios enteros del hilo de rosca pueden crear los hilos de rosca nuevos en los hilos de rosca pendientes de una del hilo de rosca identificaci?n del padre que fijan la opini?n de los hilos de rosca del rechazo de la pol?tica que usted puede

pretty funny translation

Collapse
Hi Ernie,

I confirm your translation:

Attachments: Archivos adjuntos
Body: Cuerpo del mensaje
closed: cerrado
Confirm?: Confirmar
disable: desactivar
disabled: desactivado
Disabled Forums: Foros de discusión desactivados
Email to a friend: Enviar a un amigo
Forum: Foro de discusión (or) Foro
Forum Posting: Mensajes del foro (or) Mensajes
Fwd:: Reenviar
Replies: Respuestas
Your Note: Su comentario

Collapse
Ernie, Jorge,

Are you still translating?
I want to help but, as Ernie said, if you are then we have to agree on a common vocabulary.

Waiting for your answer.

Collapse
Posted by Jorge Garcia on
Hi, everybody

Travelling out of city.

In a few days i'll return.

Regards.

/Jorge

Collapse
Emmanuelle,

Yes, I still am. However, I'm waiting for an update regarding the necessary translation changes on the translation site.

Check this thread out: https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=64636

In any case as you suggested, we need to agree on a common vocabulary.

I have seen there has been some changes in the translations, so we must agree on common terminology for the following words: (your votes are welcome)

Files = Archivos? Documentos?
Create = Alta? Crear? Añadir? (aqui creo que dependeria el caso, pero uds. me pueden decir que les parece)
Classes = Cursos? Clases?
Templates = Plantillas?
Archived = Archivos de?? Archivar? Archivados?
FAQ: Preguntas más Frecuentes? Preguntas? Preguntas Frecuentes? FAQ?
Subject = Asignaturas?
Departamentos = Departamentos? Facultades?
Edit Pre-approved Email Servers = Editar lista de servidores de correos aprovados? Editar dominios pre-aprobados? Editar dominios de correo pre-aprobados?
Forums = Foros? Foros de discución?
Item = Elemento??
Permissions = Acceso? Permisos?
Occurrences = Repeticiones?? (I need help on this one)
live version = Version Activa?

If you have others, please let me know. In addition, I'm still struggling to translate this words:

Charter
Thread (??!??!)
Posting Policy
View
package instance (!?)
Unapproved

Let me know what you think would be the translation for those.

Moreover, I do agree with Rafael that we need to have diferent versions of Spanish adapted to countries. However, I wonder whether is best to have one generic spanish versin first or start multiple translations simultaneously. What do you think?

Cheers,

Ernie

Collapse
Hi Ernie,

Check this thread out: message-view?message_id=64636

I've seen it and I was wondering (I don't understand everything in english) if we have to wait or not to go on. There's some message that can't be translated, an example is the world "no": it's used as the negative (not yes) and as the "there is no ..."; we can't translate that.

In any case as you suggested, we need to agree on a common vocabulary.

Definitively, yes!

• Files: Documentos (when it's a porlet title), archivo(s) when we refer to specifics files.
Create = Alta? Crear? Añadir? (aqui creo que dependeria el caso, pero uds. me pueden decir que les parece).

I agree. Create a file is "añadir" or "crear". "Alta" is for "join a group/forum ..."

• Classes: in Spain, "Clases" is used when you go physically to a classroom, when it's online, we prefer "curso".
  • Templates: Plantillas
  • Archived: Archivados
  • FAQ: Preguntas más frecuentes
  • Subject: Asignatura
  • Departamentos: Departamentos. "Facultad" (faculty?) is a set of "departamentos".
  • Edit Pre-approved Email Servers: Editar dominios de correo pre-aprobados
  • Forums: Foros
  • Item: "Elemento" is not used. Maybe it would be better to leave it as "item".
  • Permissions: Permisos
  • Occurrences: if it's in a search context then "ocurrencias"
  • live version: Versión activa
  • Charter: privilegio (or) carta. I'm not sure. In which context did you see it?
  • Thread: hilo
  • Posting Policy: política de envío
  • View: vista
  • package instance: instancia de paquete/aplicación. Here too, it depends on the context.
  • Unapproved: no aprobado (or) sin aprobar
Moreover, I do agree with Rafael that we need to have diferent versions of Spanish adapted to countries. However, I wonder whether is best to have one generic spanish versin first or start multiple translations simultaneously. What do you think?

I agree with Rafael, me too. I think that it would be very dificult to have a generic spanish translation; it would be better to have es_ES, es_AR, etc...