Forum OpenACS Q&A: Problem connecting to postgresql via stunnel (user can, Aolserver can't)

I'm trying to set up an OACS server to connect to a database on a separate server over an stunnel connection. The stunnel was setup like so:

On the database server:
stunnel -d 5555 -r localhost:5432
Which sets up a tunnel receiveing connections on port 5555 and forwarding them to 5432 (pgsql)
On the web server:
stunnel -c -d 55432 -r dataserver:5555
Which sets up a client tunnel listening on 55432 and forwarding to the listening end of the stunnel on the database server at port 5555.

I'm doing this because the webserver will be going into our DMZ and we want to encrypt the traffic (passwords, y'know), but for the moment it's not in the DMZ, so as a user I can connect to the ACS database one of two ways (skipping any discussion of pg_hba.conf):

1. via the stunnel: psql -U nsadmin -h localhost -p 55432 acsdb
  2. via a normal remote connection: psql -U nsadmin -h dataserver acsdb

The server can connect via method #2 with the following setup in ns_section ns/db/pool/pool1 (and pool2 and pool3):

ns_param driver postgres
ns_param datasource dataserver::acsdb
ns_param user nsadmin
ns_param password ""
But it cannot connect via method #1 (stunnel), even though it works for psql:
ns_param driver postgres
ns_param datasource localhost:55432:acsdb
ns_param user nsadmin
ns_param password ""
In the logs I find the message:
Error: Ns_PgOpenDb(postgres): Could not connect to localhost:55432:acsdb: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
Is the server running locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp.s.PGSQL.55432"?
Of course the answer is "no," but it looks perhaps like the postgres driver is trying to use a file socket instead of a network socket (because it's localhost?).

Any ideas what to do?

My first test would be to change localhost (which probably resolves to 127.0.0.1) to the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) of the machine, eg www.example.com .

That is, try changing localhost:55432:acsdb to www.example.com:55432:acsdb .  This will have Postgres try to talk TCPIP to the "real" IP address.

Try
ns_param datasource 127.0.0.1:55432:acsdb

If I remember right aolserver or the driver makes the presumption that localhost = unix domain socket so using 127.0.0.1 tells it to look for a tcp socket.

Sean,

Hopefully you've mis-typed the port number (in this post only) for setting up the tunnel on the database server. You show 5432. All other references in your post show 55432.

Randy

My understanding is that as you suggest Postgres will use a unix socket for connections out of the box. Because the client process is not ACTUALLY running on localhost, and because the smoke and mirrors with ssh is done on top of tcpip I don't think that you can use unix socket based connections down an ssh tunnel (someone may tell me something I don't know here!).

Unless the parameter 'tcpsocket=true' is uncommented in the postgres.conf file you won't have any joy so that may be worth double checking.

Also, I don't think that you can avoid disussing pg_hba.conf because the default entry is only for unix socket connections.

You will need to add the following, to open up host based connections on the appropriate ip address, or something similar (I like to use the option for storing the authorised users in a file).

host     all     192.168.50.32     255.255.255.0     md5     pg_auth_users

From memory md5 is the option recommended in the docs for the most recent versions of postgres

If you have two network ports you can set one to 192.168.xxx.xxx and connect to that one on the local subnet which helps to avoid opening postgres up on the public port.

Regards
Richard
Collapse
6: Solved, thanks (response to 1)
Posted by Sean Redmond on

Thanks for the suggestions. It turns out anything but localhost works, either :

ns_param datasource servername:55432:acsdb
or:
ns_param datasource 127.0.0.1:55432:acsdb
even:
ns_param datasource localhost.localdomain:55432:acsdb

Presumably using the real IP rather than 127.0.0.1 would work too but I didn't see any point in testing it. Also, it didn't require the FQDN, though that would surely work as well.

This seems like a bug in the postgres driver, since psql -h localhost -p 55432 treats the connection as a TCP socket. For consistency's sake I'd expect to be able to set up the server exactly the same way, not localhost=Unix Socket but localhost.localdomain=TCP socket.

It's not a typo, it's just unecessarily confusing. The connection goes localhost:55432->dataserver:5555->dataserver:5432. 5555 and 55432 are arbitrary numbers (5555 came from a web page I was getting an example from, 55432 is the first slight variation on 5432 that came to mind). It would probably be better to pick different numbers to avoid just this kind of confusion.

Collapse
8: pg_hba.conf (response to 5)
Posted by Sean Redmond on

How to most securely setup the user for the remote connection is an interesting but separate problem, so I think I'll start another thread on it.

Collapse
9: Re: pg_hba.conf (response to 8)
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Well, here is the code fragment from the postgres driver. If it's a bug it's an intentional one.
 if (!strcmp(host, "localhost")) {
            Ns_Log(Notice, "Opening %s on %s", db, host);
            pgConn = PQsetdbLogin(NULL, port, NULL, NULL, db, handle->user,
                                  handle->password);
        } else {
            Ns_Log(Notice, "Opening %s on %s, port %s", db, host, port);
            pgConn = PQsetdbLogin(host, port, NULL, NULL, db, handle->user,
                             handle->password);
        }
Maybe if we are connection because we have "localhost" we should try 127.0.0.1 if the unix domain socket fails.

I will ping Lamar Owen and see what he thinks...

To echo Jeff:  It is intentional behavior.  There are sites that don't want postmaster listening on a TCP/IP socket for security reasons; these sites have a way of using the pg driver using only unix sockets.  Incidentally, PostgreSQL 'out of the box' is set to only listen to local unix sockets -- you have to change the options in postgresql.conf (or use the older '-i' switch to postmaster) to make it listen to the TCP/IP socket.  That also is intentional.

Having said that, having the connect fall through to the TCP/IP connection makes some sense; I'll see if I can't get it do to that soon, without creating a different security issue.

Incidentally, PostgreSQL supports direct SSL connections.  I haven't tried using them from AOLserver, however.  f anyone else has gotten that to work, it would be nice to know.