Forum OpenACS Q&A: user interface

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks,
Just a thought...
The default openacs interface puts both the navigation and the content on a flat page. I realize nobody ever bothered about the design a user interface, but, ghiven fact that the current layout causes users to scroll down, simply because a few lines of bulleed instructions doesn't make sense. Can't we create a default interface with navigation on a left side bar, and the functioanlity righ of the navigation section instead of messing up the full screen. who needs the full screen anyway?

I think it would realy increase general usablity to have one or 2 default templates to display the tool kit's modules, instead of the current basic presentation, so it doesn't force newbies to dive into tempatting themselves.

Maybe some of design guru's we have on board can come up with a simple solution. Today I presented  the default photodb to a client, the owner of a shoe repairshop with no internet experience, and he was horrified by the current display. I am sure we can do better with minimal effort. After all, it's just about displaying info a simple page without every individual user of the toolkit diving into the sourcecode.

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
2: Re: user interface (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Sorry for the typo's. My system crashed and I was unable to correct the spelling. I hope you get my point. One easy option could be the split all module page displays.

Section 1 Openacs functionality.
Section 2 free format html subject to users preferences that can be edited using any kind of html editor.
With an option to have the acs navigation at the top of the page or on a left sidebar. That would leave plenty room for the main body of the fucntionlity to fit on a standard screen.

That would allow site administrators to create openacs based pages, without diving into the source.
I may be over simplifying things, but from personal experience can tell it would help a lot in creating Openacs sites.

Ben

Collapse
3: Re: user interface (response to 1)
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on

Ben,

take a look at http://www.7-sisters.com for an example of a site with the navigation in fixed left hand bar. The layout uses CSS extensively and thus requires CSS compliant browsers. Be aware -if you choose this path- that there are still many differences between browsers when it comes to CSS. But at least it is a lot better than frames ;)

Don't forget that OpenACS is a developers toolkit. Practically all projects replace the default design for their own. While your suggestion has merit, out of the box design is not a top priority. Having said that, the community will putting more effort into separating (Tcl) code from presentation. The next OpenACS release will see better and more extensive use of the OpenACS templating system allowing rapid design changes.

/Bart

Collapse
4: Re: user interface (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
Ben,

This is an item that's very much on my todo list right now, although it's stalled right now, as we're busy with work.

Check out my various notes on these issues over at http://www.collaboraid.biz/developer/. In particular the Business use cases, User interface plans, and Fixing acs-subsite.

In short, I think we're wasting time and limiting our growth significantly by not making more sense and being more usable out of the box.

/Lars

Collapse
5: Re: user interface (response to 4)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Bart and Lars, I understand the toolkit approach and no design policy, yet with a minor tweak the current output would be greatly enhanaced without any design efforts. If we change the default "horizontal line" into a "Vertical line" to split up the screen, and have the navigation and other funcitonality on the left of the page, it would give a full screen to the ACS output display. I will try to make sense out of the templating system as soon as possible, so I won't have to bother you any longer, but for newbies to have a few simple options like this so the basic display looks presentable might make sense. Maybe it would be usefull to start thinking of creating an OpnenACS "designers manual". I have a feeling a lot of features are allready available most people don't realize. A strat could be we identify which OACS members are reraly familiar with all this, and create a seperate working party. Maybe my simple ( non-merd )trials on Tmedesk could help to write an OpenACS Designers Guidebook Cheers Ben