Forum OpenACS Development: CONNECTION REFUSED WHEN TRIYNG TO CONNECT TO OPENACS!

I have installed openacs 4.6 and dotlrn 1.0, but when i try to connect to them i get a "connection refused when attempting to connect to localhost:8000" message. This happens after i do:
[admin@dmeacs admin]$ /usr/local/aolserver/bin/nsd-postgres -t /home/admin/web/openacs/nsd.tcl
[admin@dmeacs admin]$ [07/Apr/2003:11:48:33][927.8192][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: starting to read
config file...
[07/Apr/2003:11:48:33][927.8192][-main-] Warning: nsd.tcl: nsssl not loaded because key/cert files do not exist.
[07/Apr/2003:11:48:33][927.8192][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: finished reading config file.

[admin@dmeacs admin]$ mozilla localhost:8000
But when i do
[admin@dmeacs admin]$ mozilla localhost:8000
again i get the connection!!! Could someone tell me whats wrong? I have the Mat's AOLServer distribution and i'm using postgresql 7.2.3 in redhat 8.0. Tanks in advanced.
Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Try -ft instead of just -t and you'll get the output of the process on your screen.

Then, after you see something like "listening on yourhost:yourport" and then "accepting connections", your requests should work.

Your story sounds like you're requesting the page before the launch of aolserver is quite ready.

Your right. Tanks.
Can someone tell me what do i have to do to get external connection to my openacs service? A this time i get a "refused connection when attempting to contact IP:8000" message when a do: http://IP:8000 on web browser. What i'm doing wrong? Tanks.
Collapse
5: Firewall? (response to 4)
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Jorge, if you can get to your OpenACS site via "http:/localhost:8000/" just fine but not via the external IP address, then you don't have an OpenACS problem. You have a system or network administration problem.

Most likely, you have some firewall turned on. I don't use Red Hat but I think recent Red Hat versions have shipped with a firewall turned on by default. This has definitely been discussed before, although you can probably find better links than those two if you look.

Tanks, i'll look at thoses links.
The problem was in the network configuration.But, now instead of have a "Page can't not be found" message when trying to connect to the site from another computer,i get a "Page can't not be displayd" message.It's this a problem of permissions? If so, this are set in aolserver or in openacs files,and who? Any help is welcome.Tanks in advanced.
Jorge, that is not a helpful error report. We can't help without much more information. Are there any errors reported in the AOLserver error log? What are they?
Andrew, i don't have any errors in my log, the connection works fine in the server machine. Another subject, i'm trying to install openacs and dotlrn at home as well, but i'm having a problem whit the "/". This is strange because i made the download from openacs.org in linux and not in windows. I don't have any errors in my log, just this message in the browser after i have done:
[voodoo@testeserver voodoo]$ /usr/local/aolserver/bin/nsd-postgres -t /home/voodoo/web/openacs/nsd.tcl
[voodoo@testeserver voodoo]$ [14/Apr/2003:15:21:06][2116.8192][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: starting to read config file...
[14/Apr/2003:15:21:06][2116.8192][-main-] Warning: nsd.tcl: nsssl not loaded because key/cert files do not exist.
[14/Apr/2003:15:21:06][2116.8192][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: finished reading config file.

[voodoo@testeserver voodoo]$ mozilla localhost:8000
"The file / cannot be found.Please check the location and try again." Can anyone help me in this two subjects. Tanks.
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Jorge, you might be able to fix this by...

Going into your whatever.tcl file,
Changing this:

#set address                [ns_info address]
set address                0.0.0.0

That makes Aolserver listen on all IP addresses, instead of just one.

Tanks Jade.