Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Accessing my page/server

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
How exactly do people fail?  Here are some debugging tools:

Can their computers access the server at all?  Test with "ping".

Are their browser requests reaching the server?  Test by checking the access log on the server.  For example, you can tail the access log (tail -f /web/service0/log/access.log), look at the last line, then go make a request from another computer, then look at the last line again.  If it didn't change, they aren't reaching the server.

Is there a firewall in the way?  Is there a firewall on the server that blocks remote access?

Collapse
Posted by James Bennin on
First of all, thank you for your prompt response.  My boss tried the ping command and it's working, but he can still not access my server/page.  He types the address "myservername:8000/" in the browser and he cannot reach the server even.  As for the access.log file, I dont even have one under the specified folder.  All I have is myservice.log and error.log.  I hope the information I provided for you was helpful.  So where do I go from here?

Thank you

Collapse
Ok, in the config file under "/web/servcice0/etc/config.tcl" there are three parameters that could resolve the problem I am having. These are the parameters:

set hostname
set server
set servername

Now the question is, when people on the network are trying to access my server/page, what is the address they are going to browse to?  I know it is something like
"http://*****:8000/" right?  But what goes in the "******", is  it the hostname, the server or the servername?

Thank you

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
the ***** is your hostname or the IP Address of your computer. So if you have an IP Adress of 192.168.1.43 you will have them access your server at http://192.168.1.43:8000. Safest method, unless you know your hostname and that name is known through the company as well.

To find out your ip address, use "ipconfig" on the unix shell. To find our your hostname, use "hostname" on the unix shell.

Collapse
I really do appreciate the help and the insights.  I have tried both of the commands (ifconfig not ipconfig) and the values that came up for hostname and ifconfig are the exact same one I have set-up in the config file.  And I have been trying, from different computers on the network to access the server, and still have not seen any success.  Any other suggestions?