Forum OpenACS CMS: bcms 0.3 on cvs

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hello,

After doing some none IT stuff.  I tried to get back and put some docs for bcms.  I have upped the version to 0.3 and made it into a service package.

Sorry for the long update, I had to some stuff.  Actually I made some small patch and did not commit it and peterm also patched the same thing :)

0.3 should mark the first release.  I will be glad to help out of any install problems, or how to make UI packages.

Simple Roadmap:

- add more documentation.
- clean up bcms-ui-base (a separate UI package), update bcms-ui-wizard (not sure when) package.
- get some feedbacks and decide what to do with them.
- review and revise list_X and tree_X calls.
- add Oracle support.
- add back lob support.

Since Lars and Peter is also using it.  Hopefully it will evolve ok.  I don't plan any major changes myself except for the above points.  I also wish to concentrate more on UI packages such as bcms-ui-base.  Also currently bcms seems to serve its primary purpose, to help in developing with CR.

I would like to ask for immediate help in:

- reformating the docs, since they where "save as" web page from OpenOffice.
- bug fixes, lack of API doc.

Collapse
2: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Special thanks to Talli and Musea.  For using 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3 of bcms.
Collapse
3: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Werner on
Jun,

I've been diving into CR pretty heavily and at DaveB's suggestion am looking at BCMS. It looks great - I have just one question - did bcms0.3 break the bcms-ui pieces?

Just curious because I got all three and it seems like you must have changed the API somewhat - for example with bcms-ui-wizard I get this errror:

Too many positional parameters specified
    while executing
"bcms::item::get_item_by_url__arg_parser"
    (procedure "bcms::item::get_item_by_url" line 1)
    invoked from within
"bcms::item::get_item_by_url -root_id $root_folder_id -url "pages" -resolve_index false"
    invoked from within
"array set pages_folder [bcms::item::get_item_by_url -root_id $root_folder_id -url "pages" -resolve_index false]"
    ("uplevel" body line 25)
    invoked from within
"uplevel {
          set root_folder_id [bcms::folder::get_bcms_root_folder]

Are the changes widespread or fairly isolated? I'd be willing to lend a hand to bring the bcms-ui bits up to the new API ...

Collapse
4: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Alfred,

Please use bcms-ui-base for now.  As bcms-ui-wizard is still using the old api.  A lot have changed.

Here are simple install notes for bcms-ui-base.  You have to move/copy packages/bcms-ui-base/templates to /templates.  There might be some missing switches on bcms.  But I think Dave may have corrected those.  When you visit the package it should redirect to admin, create a folder and set that folder as your root.  Do the same for the template folder.

I have a family emergency right now, so I can't help and commit the later bcms-ui-base.  bcms should be in ok shape since that is my object for 3.0.  I need to commit bcms-ui-base 0.2.

Collapse
5: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 4)
Posted by Alfred Werner on
thanks for the tips - best wishes to your family !
Collapse
6: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 1)
Posted by Gilbert Price on
Good Evening All,

I've got Aolserver 4r2 running with the OpenACS 5rc2 and all seems to be going well. I want to try out BCMS and from the above messages I understand not to use install the bcms-ui-wizard and only use the bcms-ui-base.

It is mentioned to move the bcms/templates folder to /templates. Just were is this second /templates located?

I have installed bcms-ui-base and trying to specify a directory for it to manage I get an error. I'd post it, but I'm going to drop the db in the morning and reinstall OpenACS RC2, so I'll be starting over, but everything else I've been trying out has worked fine so far...

Thanks in adavance for any bcms help any of you can provide.

Collapse
7: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Copy bcms-ui-base/templates to the openacs root directory, openacs-4 on a default CVS checkout.
Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
Does contrib CVS reflect the latest state of bcds/bcms development?

If not, could I convince whoever has a lead on this to commit to CVS or point me toward a tarball? Doesn't have to be polished...

Thank you,

/R

Collapse
9: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Randy,

Yes it the latest stable code.  bcms and bcms-ui-base. I still have to put Steve's bcms-ui-wizard in since there are some changes I need to do as well. Thanks.

Collapse
10: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 9)
Posted by Steve Manning on
Jun

I was wondering what had happened to that 😊

- Steve

Collapse
11: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Steve,

Sorry about that, but I can't directly commit bcms-ui-wizard since it does require some changes in bcms.  Changes that may affect greater number of developers and packages.

I am trying to change bcms-ui-wizard, I guess if I can't find enough time I will just commit bcms-ui-wizard even if it needs some work for it to run with bcms.

Collapse
12: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 11)
Posted by Steve Manning on
Jun

I think its better to get a working version of BCMS-UI-Wizard on contribs rather than hold it back because of a problem with the merge.

Let me know (off-list) what changes are required to UI-Wizard to bring it back into line - or if its some feature I've added. If necessary I can then either rework the problem or move the relevent part out of BCMS into UI-Wizard to retain the feature.

- Steve

Collapse
13: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 12)
Thank you both for answering.

My goal is to utilize the CR to define, generate, display, and validate object/attribute forms.

I'm using the CR docs as a guide for sequence of operations,  and comparing CR and bcms APIs. I'm looking for a one-for-one correspondence between the two APIs, but they don't really match up. For example, where the CR docs show how to create a content type with content_type__create_type, I don't see a bcms API call to do the equivalent. But I do see correspondence in other areas.

Maybe this is the wrong approach? Is there a better approach? Possibly someone has already correlated the APIs and created a step-by-step that will show me at least a part of what I'm trying to do?

/R

Collapse
14: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 1)
Posted by Deds Castillo on
I think it's not a definite that you'll see a one to one correspondence with the CR and BCMS APIs.  BCMS is an extension to the CR APIs and DaveB will soon be integrating a lot of those back into CR.

Classified ads in contrib can define, generate and display object attribute in forms.  I can't recall now how much of an API was initially made and added though.

Collapse
15: Re: bcms 0.3 on cvs (response to 14)
Thank you, Deds.

So, if I stick with using bcms, it looks like I still have to use the CR API to create a content type.