Forum .LRN Q&A: dotlrn user manuals

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi

I remember seeing MS Word versions of user and administrator manuals written by Sloan, but I ccan not find them.

Can anyone give me a pointer?

thanks

rafael

Collapse
2: Re: dotlrn user manuals (response to 1)
Posted by xx xx on
Links to v2handbook.doc seem dead (www.dotlrn.org/documentation/ and dotlrn.mit.edu/documentation/). I'll send you the old one from november 2002 by email, but I hope someone has a newer version.
Collapse
3: Re: dotlrn user manuals (response to 1)
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
Howdy,

I have to finish updating the documentation for 2.1 and then I will make it available in Word, PDF and HTML (and LORS!) format.

Our semester has just begun here, so I have to focus on course-specific support for a bit of time, but then I will get the documentation done.  I'll post when they are available.

DeeDee

Collapse
4: Re: dotlrn user manuals (response to 1)
Posted by Bruce Spear on
HI!
Good question.  I'm hoping to do some work on the user documentation this fall, and Dirk and I are scheming to build a little context-dependent help system into Dotlrn along the lines of Moodle's system.  It makes sense to start with Sloan's versions, and my idea is to cut them down a bit, generalize them for non-Sloan users, and integrate them with specific educational purposes.  Presently, I've got two short tutorials online at: http://home.arcor.de/civici01a/programming/tutorials.htm, and I'd like to prepare some more.  I'd also like to coordinate this work with others and stick them in some sort of central repository until such point that we can build them into the tarball.  I'm wondering if there are others out there that might want to be a part of this.  Any takers?
All the best,
Bruce
Collapse
5: Re: dotlrn user manuals (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Bruce,

It would be really great if you and Dirk could share your plans for a context sensitve help system. This definitely seems like something that would be generally useful, not just for .LRN.

Collapse
6: Re: dotlrn user manuals (response to 4)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Hello Bruce,

great news!

Please share your plans a little bit more in the threads, plus we (galileo) might be able to collaborate in some parts. We are also considering to do some animated tutorials, but those should be based on your docs guys.

I haven't seen the context dependent hep of moodle, can you explain it a bit ...?

Another thing that we are planning is to create customized portal setting depending on the type of user you are: professor / student & beginer to advanced.

Collapse
7: Re: dotlrn user manuals (response to 1)
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
I am writing a set of policies for Elnet (www.elnet.com.au) on how to create & manage communities.

The purpose of the Elnet website is to become a hub for collaboration among Elearning professionals in Australasia. This policy should:

- Support meaningful collaboration among members
- Reduce administration load
- Define mediation and management policies for conflict resolution
- Document a workflow for the creation and management of communities, and to allow for members input to be used for improving it.

The policy would have a couple of attachments for community administrators, including whatever user manuals we have (I am willing to help).

I think the manuals should be written to be easily adapted to different organizations, including non-educational ones, like Elnet who uses dotlrn as a collaboration toll.

Of course all these documents wil be made available when I finish them. And if you have any ideas for it, please post them here

cheers

Rafael

Collapse
8: Re: dotlrn user manuals (response to 1)
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi!

In our instalation "http://pizarra.uv.es" you can see our help for students anf professors, the link is:

http://pizarra.uv.es/global/HELP/indice.htm

P.D. The documentation is in spanish

Bye.

Collapse
9: Re: dotlrn user manuals (response to 1)
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
Hi Everyone,

The latest versions of the manual for 2.1 are up on the OpenACS site - have been for a little while: https://openacs.org/projects/dotlrn/dotlrn-doc/userdocs.

If you want HTML, PDF or Word versions, you can grab them from my MIT locker: http://mit.edu/dekane/www/LRN/, including zipped files of each document type. As i recall, these are complete and I reviewed and revised them, but there may be discrepancies and imperfections.

DeeDee

Collapse
Posted by Jose Fortin on
Hi everyone

I've just uploaded to zips containing the .LRN User Documentation,

one contains the html version
and the other one has been packaged after being implementesd with reload
you can find it in the file storage

I hope you find it useful

Jose Fortin

p.d. this documentation it's written in english, soon there will be a spanish version available.

Collapse
11: Re: dotlrn user manuals (response to 1)
Posted by Jose Fortin on
Hey everyone

The .lrn documentation is now translated (in the file storage), I hope you find it useful, and if you have any comments about it, please let me know.

Jose Fortin