Forum .LRN Q&A: Announcing the release assessment-20040924 of the assessment package for OACS.

The specification of the assessment package is here. This initial version has been developed under the ELANE project and therefore covers only some basic subset of the spec.

There is an on-going effort to cover as much as possible of the spec.

You may download the assessment package from OpenACS CVS HEAD. The code is in HEAD because there's still much development going on. You'll need acs-content-repository from HEAD (because assessment uses the new CR TCL API)

Right now the package is capable of importing assessments in QTI format. It has only been tested importing QTI files generated with Canvas Learning although the goal is to support any QTI authoring tool (any feedback on this front would be deeply appreciated).

Right now, once imported, users may take a simple assessment (with a single section), submit the answers and view the results.

Development is right know focussed on supporting multiple choice and multiple response items.

Another restriction is that it's only available for Postgres (volunteers for Oracle migration are welcome).

Any comments on usability are also appreciated, since this will be deployed for users with low level computing skills.

Immediate improvements are:
- support more item types
- increase support for more complicated QTI files (a subset is supported right now)
- tweak the UI to be consistent and easy to use
- portlet for .LRN
- dotlrn integration
- internationalization

If you want to try it out, go to:

http://vivaldi.it.uc3m.es:8080/assessment/
login: guest@elane.org
password: elane

The content is in Spanish.

Feel free to play around with it and post any comments.
HI!  Great work!  I'd love to try it, but the login you've given doesn't work for me.  Might you check it out?  THanks!  Bruce
I've tried several times and the login seems to work. Could you tell me what's the error message you get?
HI!  Thanks for the encouragement, maybe the wind shifted as I was able to log on.  After filling out the form and submitting  I did get an error message:

MESSAGE KEY MISSING: 'assessment.Response_Submitted'

Response submitted Correctly!

MESSAGE KEY MISSING: 'assessment.View_results'

But so far as I can tell (I'm sorry, I don't read Spanish) the survey was completed: I was then able to see the results, and the forms look good!

Now I'm wondering: what are your plans for the style sheet?  I ask as the form could be prettied up a bit, and I'd like to encourage the ever-more beautiful css.

All the best,

Bruce

I have updated http://vivaldi.it.uc3m.es:8080/assessment/ with the latest development version.
There were some minor changes in usability.

Could you comment on what's the usability you fell of assessment?
I don't have plans for the style sheet. Right now our focus is in development rather than visual fixes, but any patches are welcome!

Hi Eduardo,

I tried to install assessment from CVS but it seems to me that  some links are broken:

- lib/section-items.adp links to item-form. But there is no such file
- When I click on a created assessment I get this error: No fullquery for dbqd.assessment.www.assessment.query_all_items
- when I click on a session link I get this error: divide by zero
    while executing
"expr $assessment_score/$assessment_items"

Any idea why I annot work with assessment at all?

Greetings,
Nima

Nima Mazloumi wrote:
<blockquote> I tried to install assessment from CVS but it seems to me that  some links are broken:

- lib/section-items.adp links to item-form. But there is no such file
</blockquote>

That's Timo work, Timo?

<blockquote> - When I click on a created assessment I get this error: No fullquery for
dbqd.assessment.www.assessment.query_all_items
</blockquote>

Are you using Oracle?

<blockquote> - when I click on a session link I get this error: divide by zero
    while executing
"expr $assessment_score/$assessment_items"
</blockquote>

That's a bug.
Solutions: or we don't show assessments with no items or we don't show the score when the assessment has no items.

<blockquote> Any idea why I cannot work with assessment at all?
</blockquote>

We are using QTI import. The integrated editor can't edit items yet.

No, I am using PostgreSQL.

Is it possible to upload the QTI-Examles for single select or multiple select at the qti website of IMS?

I had a detailed look at the assessment package. So far it is not ready for release and will not be (as far as I'm concerned) until we at least get the management interface for editing the question, section and assessment catalogue. It is not a far way to get there, but I'd heavily discourage people who assume assessment gives them something like survey from using it at this point.

If you have an external editor and upload the QTI questions, you should be able to run an exam.

<blockquote> No, I am using PostgreSQL.
</blockquote>

There shouldn't be problems with PostgreSQL.
Could you explain better the steps needed to get to the problem?

<blockquote> Is it possible to upload the QTI-Examles for single select
or multiple select at the qti website of IMS?
</blockquote>

I don't know how about IMS website, but we have some examples at E-LANE:
http://e-lane.org/pub/module7_english.zip

The new assessment test instance is at:
http://vivaldi.it.uc3m.es:8000/
login: mailto:guest@elane.org
password: elane
Some assessments are in spanish and some in english.
Feel free to play around with it and post any comments.
Hi!
I congratulate you for the progresses with the package assesment.

We will try to upgrade our version of "acs-content-repository" for installing assesment in our branch OACS-5-1.

Somebody has tried to upgrade acs-content-repository 5.1.3 branch OACS-5-1 to acs-content-repository 5.2.0d branch HEAD?

Two question about assesments, please:
  - That tool uses for creation test in format IMS QTI?
  - As you connect the contents of the courses carried out with the Reload with the assesments?

Somebody knows if this planned have integrate support HTMLArea in files upload with LORS?

Thanks for all.
Dario.

Just updated my Assesment, etc.. packages installation from HEAD (did a fresh installation), got the following errors while trying to add the Assesment Applet (Manage Applet).

Database operation "0or1row" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.")

ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "cr_items_unique_name"
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "content_item__new" line 96 at SQL statement
PL/pgSQL function "content_template__new" line 33 at assignment
PL/pgSQL function "content_template__new" line 9 at return

SQL:

select content_template__new('as_files_default',NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL)

while executing
"ns_pg_bind 0or1row nsdb0 {

select content_template__new(:name,:parent_id,:template_id,:creation_date,:creation_user,:creation_ip)

}"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel $ulevel [list ns_pg_bind $type $db $sql]"
    ("postgresql" arm line 2)
    invoked from within
"switch $driverkey {
                oracle {
                    return [uplevel $ulevel [list ns_ora $type $db $sql] $args]
                }
      ..."

<snip...>

Assessment was broken by one of the other assessment developers.

We hope to have it fixed as soon as possible.

In the meanwhile you can use the code from 2004-11-27 or try any other day.