Forum OpenACS Q&A: Project manager 2.50 beta 1 released

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
This is a major update, and includes substantial UI improvements and some data model changes as well.

See the ChangeLog file for details, and test before deploying on a production site (or wait a couple of weeks).

I think this is a big improvement for project-manager!

Project manager also is starting to be internationalized, and Oracle support is being worked on. It is not yet ready for use on Oracle, however.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Hi Jade,

Excellent work on Project Manager. Haven't installed the new version yet, but coming from you, I'm sure it's great.

When reading the changes you've made recently (through the CVS mailing list) I couldn't resist but nominate Project Manager to have the funniest piece of code in all of OpenACS:

foreach ass $assignee {
        regexp {(\d+)-(\d+)-(\d+)} $ass match num person role

Maybe we should have a contest 😊 -Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
You caught me :)
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
New features:

- improved UI with better IE compatibility
- saves the sorting you make in the list-builder tables.

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Does anyone have both Project Manager and .LRN running on the same instance of OpenACS (i.e. are they compatible)?
Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
yes, it's possible.
Collapse
Posted by Al Walworth on
I've been running Project Manager 2.20b2 for the past month.  What is the recommended procedure for upgrading to 2.52?  Can I simply install it?  Are there additional steps needed to apply datamodel changes?
Collapse
Posted by Nagita Karunaratne on
Is this production ready? Anyone using this in a production environment? What version are you using?

Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I use the latest release of project manager in production. But if you're going to do so, I recommend waiting a week or so, or testing it out on a test server. I try to error on the side of caution.

Upgrading is very easy. Just follow the documentation for how to upgrade. If you don't have local customized code, you can use the /acs-admin/install upgrade procedure, and it will do everything for you.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Collapse
Posted by Al Walworth on
When I choose Install under acs-admin/install, Project Manager is not on the list of applications I can choose to install.  Likewise, if I choose Upgrade under acs-admin/install, Project Manager is not on the listed packages.  So, I cannot proceed to upgrade it.  How can I get it to appear on the list?
Collapse
Al,

I think you have to check it out of cvs. I used this...

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot cp -r openacs-5-1-compat openacs-4/contrib/packages/project-manager

Jade,

I'm adding project-manager to dotlrn and it is asking for some funtions in package acs-tcl that are not present in the dotlrn  core. Should I modify the PM source or add the functions to acs-tcl?

Thanks.

Collapse
Jade,

I tried installing multiple instances of Project Manager on one OACS instance and they all shared the same data. So if I mount an project-manager under a dotlrn community they will not be isolated and a member of a community can 'see' the projects of other communities. Am i correct?

I'm going to try to modify project-manager so it behaves more like bug-tracker in this respect. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Al Walworth on
Nagita,

I take it in the cvs command that should be "co -r", not "cp -r".  And should it really come from openacs-4/contrib, not openacs-5? (just want to be sure)  I take it the idea is to overlay existing files with these from cvs.  But then how do I arrange to run database upgrade scripts?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse
Yes 'co' not 'cp'.

I don't think there is a 'openacs-5' but you can try.

After you download project-manager, just copy that directory (ie. 'project-manager') into your packages directory, and install package from 'local repository'.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
openacs-4 is correct (see https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-1/cvs-guidelines.html)

Project manager is supposed to show up for installation, so if it's not, then it's probably a bug in the remote repository.

Are you on OpenACS 5.1.x? If not, it might not show up.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Thank you for taking this on, Nagita. I'll assign you to bug 2098:

https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/com/project-manager/bug?bug%5fnumber=2098

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Nagita, I just saw that I hadn't answered your questions about integrating it into dotlrn.

Which functions in acs-tcl are not present? What version of dotlrn / openacs are you on?

Collapse
Posted by Al Walworth on
I'm using OpenACS 5.1.1 (sorry I omitted that detail earlier).
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Al, I'm not sure why it's not appearing in the acs-admin/install page. I posted a question about this to see if we can track it down:

https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=211896

If you're eager to get started, Nagita's method works. You just cvs co the code, stick it in project-manager, and then go to acs-admin/install -> local install or upgrade, and either install or upgrade.

That should do it.

If you need more help, feel free to pop into IRC this afternoon.

Collapse
Hi Jade,

I'm running dotlrn-2.0.3
It has acs-tcl version 5.0.4

Function 'ad_returnredirect' in utilities-procs.tcl of the acs-tcl package has a '-message' parameter in openacs-5.1.1 while this is missing in the dotlrn core packages.

No big deal really. I don't suppose it is possible to upgrade just the acs-tcl package in this version of dotlrn. Core packages are backward compatible right?

Thanks.

Collapse
And I just see that there is a new version of dotlrn (.LRN 2.1 Beta 1 2.1.0b1) that seems to have solved this. Will test later.
Collapse
Posted by Al Walworth on
Using PM 2.50b1 on OACS 5.1.1, on the Task page clicking on "Add task" results in "No data." where the table of projects should appear (and where it did appear in PM 2.20b2).

I was able to get the table to reappear by deleting

p.parent_id = :root_folder and

from the WHERE clause of select_a_project in www/task-select-project-postgresql.xql (and restarting aolserver).

Is this an appropriate change?  So far it works, but I don't know if it could have bad side effects.

Any explanation of why the problem occurred (the query in task-select-project-postgresql.xql did not change from 2.20b2), the purpose of "p.parent_id = :root_folder", and the recommended approach to fixing the problem would be most welcome.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Al, can you email the output of

# select * from cr_folders;

from psql?

I think your change is probably okay, but it may be indicative of more going on, and I'd like to track it down.

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
Jade, I'm looking at project manager for the first time and it's quite impressive!  It's clear a lot of hard work went into this and it's going to be very useful.

But (you knew there was a but, right? :) I have a problem and a question.

The problem is that when I turn subprojects on and try to view a project, I get a Server Error:

Orderby 'project_name' not found in list 'people'
    while executing
"error "Orderby '$orderby_name' not found in list '$list_name'""
    (procedure "template::list::orderby::get_reference" line 9)
    invoked from within

The code in question uses listbuilder, which I haven't mucked around with yet, so I'm a little clueless as to what to do with this.

My question is this:  I want to insert an extra level of project, so instead of

Project
  Task1
  Task2

We have

Project
  Solutions
    Solution1
    Solution2

This is for a site that calculates and then presents alternative solutions to a particular problem to the user.

This seems like an obvious use of subprojects, but there's also a tie-in with categories and it's not clear to me which one I should use.  What would you recommend?

I'll start looking at the error in an hour or two if no-one more knowledgeable about listbuilder comes along.

Thanks!

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Janine, although the datamodel supports the use of subprojects, the UI does not. It is not going to be terribly difficult to add back in support for subprojects, but it will take some hacking. There are likely a bunch of small bugs that will have to be fixed.

I'm not using subprojects at my installation, but the underlying design took them into account, and a lot of the procs were written to support subprojects. I just haven't tested to make sure they work, which is a sure sign that they won't (!) without some bug-fixes.

Hope that helps.

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
Thanks, Jade.  I take it you think I should go for subprojects rather than categories, then?
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I released 2.52 beta 2 just now. Malte fixed a few bugs that prevented it from installing on fresh installations. Thanks, Malte!
Collapse
Posted by martin hebrank on
Ok. According to the forum summary (http://www.openacs.org/forums/message-view?message%5fid=211801) that points here, there is supposed to be work to make Project Manager subsite aware. But I don't see anything in this thread about it. Nor can I find a real reference about it happening anywhere. Is there an actual plan to do this? Is it really being worked on? Do you need help?