Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Moodle lessons (yet again)

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
One thing we need to work very hard on for the 2.2 release of .LRN is: User documentation. Here is a list of useful documents which we should consider writing up (collaboratively), stolen from the materials on Moodle:
  1. User course guide, describing the functionality of the software to a mere student.
  2. Professor course guide, describing the functionality for an administrator of a course.
  3. Administration guide (for .LRN Admins).
  4. Administration guide (for Site Wide Admins).
Additionally the following material is useful:
  • Introduction into .LRN modules (aka feature list). Already there in German.
  • How to use .LRN for my classes (aka Train the Trainer) book.
My assumption is that it will be considerably easier to write our own documentation if we take e.g. Moodle's as a template. Having the guides available as SCORM courses, would be a tremendous enhancement as well.
Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
I totally agree with you Malte, Documentation Courses, and of course, the way to go is build them in docbook and then just package them as IMS CP, and deliver in LORS!
Collapse
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
I agree with you, Malte. Maybe a start point could be contact Deirdre Kane and see how is going updating the user and administrator manuals written by Sloan for 2.1 and following this discussion the manuals could be available in Word, PDF and HTML (and LORS!) format. Any notices from Sloan?

Dario Rog at Universitat de Valencia at Spain and people from aisec.net have end user manuals too in pdf and htm format. Bruce Spears have manuals and howtos in html. Bruce and Dirk were also scheming to build a little context-dependent help system into Dotlrn along the lines of Moodle's system. KNOPPIX cd has a demonstrator with a course in LORS format about building contents in docbook and then just package them as IMS CP i think using Reload Editor.

A clearly roadmap could be great to congregate these initiatives and open space for collaboration.

Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
the way to go is build them in docbook and then just package
them as IMS CP, and deliver in LORS!

I volunteer to convert any document(s) to IMS CP & MD packages.

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Giancarlo Luxardo on
I think it should be possible to learn from Moodle (or other projects) improving the organization of forums, FAQ and how-to's... currently there is just one .LRN forum which might be subdivided into: newbies, administration, development, bugs, documentation, etc...

Many things can be found digging into the forums, but it can be time-consuming (and there is just a site-wide search on openacs.org)...

Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
The HTML version of the 2.1 user documentation, as most recently updated, is available on the OACS site already, under LRN User Documentation. Downloadable Word, HTML and PDF versions are available through my MIT locker at http://mit.edu/dekane/www/LRN/.

These are probably some errors and discrepancies.

DeeDee

Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
DeeDee,

Would you mind if I use your .LNR Manual content to create a IMS CP package?

Thanks,

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
Ernie,

I don't mind at all. It's in the format it's in thanks to LORS (for Concord) anyways; I just haven't gone back to final step of making a LORS package with Reload.

DeeDee