Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN 2.5.0

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi all,

.LRN 2.5.0 is planned to be released before the summer break. It will use OpenACS 5.5.0 which supports postgresql 8.2 and 8.3, and Oracle 10 and 11.

If you use .LRN on Oracle, we'd appreciate that you test on one of the versions mentionned above and report any error you may find. That would help a lot the release process :)

There are .LRN meetings in IRC (see http://www.openacs.org/irc/) every tuesday at 16:00 GMT (check your local time) to organize the release process. Please join!

Collapse
2: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 1)
Hi,

At yesterday meeting, Dario from Universidad de Valencia offered to test assessment on postgresql 8.3. Alvaro also offered to do some testing (pg too). Thank you both!

We are still missing people to test .LRN install and upgrade on Oracle. This is making very difficult to keep supporting Oracle for future releases ... so please, Oracle users, show up!

Collapse
3: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 1)
Wiki page for 2.5 release: http://www.openacs.org/xowiki/.LRN_2.5
Collapse
4: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 2)
Posted by César Clavería on
Hi Emmanuelle,

We at Viaro will be testing .LRN (install, upgrade, functionality, etc) on Oracle 11G. Will let you know as soon as we have the results.

Collapse
5: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 4)
Hi César,

Thanks, that's great news.

If you can, please join the next meeting to report on your testing (check your local time for tuesday 2-jun-2009 16:00 GMT).

Collapse
6: Re: Res: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 1)
Posted by Jose Agustin Lopez Bueno on
Hi!

In University of Valencia we are testing the new .LRN:
-OpenACS 5.5
-.LRN 2.5.0d2
-Postgresql 8.4 beta 2

Installation is Ok only with some small problems:

-We need the package views (I have seen i other thread that it is resolved)

-We need to set the compatibility options in postgresql.conf
add_missing_from = on
regex_flavor = extended
default_with_oids = on
escape_string_warning = off
backslash_quote = on

-One xowiki error:
Error: Error sourcing /var/lib/aolserver/oacs_5_5/packages/xowiki/tcl/xowiki-utility-procs.tcl:
Cannot resolve 'self', probably called outside the context of an XOTcl Object
while executing
"my set age [list [expr {3600*24*365}] year years [expr {3600*24*30}] month months [expr {3600*24*7}] week weeks [expr {3600*24}] day days ..."
("eval" body line 2)
invoked from within
"::xo::Module ::xowiki::utility -eval {
my set age \
[list \
[expr {3600*24*365}] year years \
[expr {3600*24*30}] month..."
(file "/var/lib/aolserver/oacs_5_5/packages/xowiki/tcl/xowiki-utility-procs.tcl" line 248)
invoked from within
"source $__file "

Regards,
Agustin

Collapse
7: Re: Res: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 1)
Posted by Dario Roig on
We are testing the code in a new instalation. The steps have been: -Mounted dotlrn in the main site -- OK -Created term -- OK -Created department -- ERROR Error Selection did not return a value, and no default was provided while executing "db_string select_node_id {}" (procedure "get_type_node_id" line 2) invoked from within "get_type_node_id $parent_type" (procedure "dotlrn_community::new_type" line 4) invoked from within "dotlrn_community::new_type -community_type_key "$department_key" -parent_type "dotlrn_class_instance" -pretty_name $pretty_name -description $desc..." ("uplevel" body line 2) invoked from within "uplevel 1 $transaction_code " We have resolved it restarting aolserver. -Created subject -- OK -Created classes -- OK But the template is showed in two column, the main-conten "DIV" are "float: right" maybe this to be a problem. We have tested with every templates and browsers. http://www.uv.es/avirtual/oacs-5-5/template.PNG We haven´t changed no one parameter Regards
Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
We are testing the code in a new instalation.

The steps have been:
-Mounted dotlrn in the main site -- OK
-Created term -- OK
-Created department -- ERROR
Screen captured:
http://www.uv.es/avirtual/oacs-5-5/department.PNG

We have resolved it restarting aolserver.

-Created subject -- OK
-Created classes -- OK
But the template is showed in two column, the main-conten "DIV" are "float: right" maybe this to be a problem. We have tested with every templates and browsers.
http://www.uv.es/avirtual/oacs-5-5/template.PNG
We haven´t changed no one parameter

Regards (sorry by the previous post, I selected the format in HTML)

Collapse
9: Re: Res: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 6)
Hi Agustin,

Thanks for the testing.

However .LRN 2.5.0 won't support pg 8.4 yet. Do you have any pg 8.3 installation you could test on?

Collapse
Hi Dario,

I can not reproduce any of the problems you mentioned. I think something went wrong during the installation, or, can it be related to using pg 8.4?

I'm using pg 8.2.6, didn't test myself on 8.3

Collapse
11: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 2)
Posted by Alvaro Rodriguez on
Hi,

I did some testing as well using PG 8.3.7

- Installation - OK
- Create terms, departments, subjects, classes - OK

A comment... in a course home the portlets can be minimized, when is minimized it shows a message "Maximize window to display content", this message is shown in different font size or not shown in all the portlets.

I focused on evaluation, no functional errors so far, but I found
- wrong message-keys using $var instead of %var%
- pages where message-keys are not rendered

I've fixed this locally and will get it in if approved ...

Collapse
12: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 5)
Posted by César Clavería on
Hi Emma,

here are our results:

Our LRN 2.5 tests
We at Viaro tested dotLRN 2.5 this last few days and this are our results.

We tested it using Oracle 11G, doing both fresh installs and upgrades.

Doing a fresh install we did not found any problems.
Doing an upgrade from 2.4.1 to 2.5.0d2 on Oracle 11G

• Assessment now requires Views, so it asked for it while doing the upgrade.
• For some reason the first time we tried to do the upgrade the upgrade script upgrade-5.5.0d3-5.5.0d4.sql did not ran correctly, we were missing the column implements_subsite_p but a second test did loaded the file correctly.
• While upgrading ACS Events we got an error with a call done to: apm_package_version.add_dependency, it complains about having the wrong number/kind of arguments.

On both fresh installs and upgrades we ran the automated tests and did some manual tests.

Assessment
• assessment_create_and_respond
• cleanup_test

dotlrn
• tclwebtest_dotlrn_edit_term
• tclwebtest_dotlrn_edit_subject
• tclwebtest_dotlrn_new_class

dotlrn-homework
• homework_new

Manual Tests:

We tested the normal operation of a few packages, including forums, file storage, faq, Lars blogger and the general use of dotlrn, like creating classes, everything seems to be working fine but we did noticed a weird problem on some dotlrn pages, especially the “assignments” portlet under the “class material” page inside a class. The problem is that the text, links, all, is painfully small to the point that is impossible to read.

Collapse
13: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 11)
Hi

I already commit the fixes in evaluation.

I did a similar fix in another page but I'd like an opinion to know if this is right, in evaluation/admin/grades/grades-add-edit one can edit the name, plural_name or weight of an assignment type, when the assignment type names are message-keys, those are displayed as # evaluation.Task #, this can be confusing for the user, I display the messages rendered and not editables when are message-keys, some screens to describe this fix before and now. Is this a good solution?
Collapse
14: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 13)
Hi Alvaro,

Thanks for your commit.

Regarding the way to get the localized pretty_name, I recommend to use lang::util::localize instead of lang::message::lookup. It would be more straightforward requiring less code and dealing with the cases when the pretty_name is a combination of literal text and message keys (can happen!).

Regarding the form to edit assignments types, the pretty name form fields should be enabled for edition (the value need to be localized as you did). Those types are created by default to provide a pre-configured environment but they may not match the end users needs so they need to be editable.

Also, usually a course will be used in one sole language, so if the admin/teacher decide to enter a literal string it's OK. Anyhow, it should be admin/teacher decision, not the developer one. Also it would be a bit excessive to ask for a message key here.

Collapse
15: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 12)
Hi César,

Thanks for your testing and feedback.

Regarding the text that is so tiny is almost impossible to read, I understand it's in the evaluation package portlets. What browser are you using? Does that happen with the default theme Zen?

Collapse
16: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 14)
Hi Emma,

Thanks for the help with the render of the message-keys, it's a lot better this way, I just commit again using that proc.

Collapse
17: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 16)
Alvaro,

I didn't realize at first because I just looked at the code, didn't test on a site. But now that I did, it appears that the evaluation admin index page links to grades/grade-add-edit, not to tasks/task-add-edit so the "grades" pretty name are still message keys.

What version of evaluation are you working on?

Collapse
18: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 1)
Hi all,

dotlrn packages have been branched (branch tag: oacs-5-5. thks Don). Hopefully we'll release before the end of the month.

Testing upgrade on pg 8.2/8.3 and Oracle 10/11 is needed.

Lately only dave, don and I attend the .LRN meetings weekly despite the leadership team has more members: http://www.openacs.org/xowiki/.LRN_Leadership_Team (where are you guys?).

None of the three use oracle, and I'm the only one still using .LRN so it will be hard to keep maintaining the software if the community doesn't participate.

Collapse
19: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 12)
Hi César,

The tiny text in the evaluation portlets has been fixed.

I take advantage to remind that the <small> HTML tag must not be used, styles must be set via CSS only.

Collapse
20: Re: .LRN 2.5.0 (response to 18)
On behalf of the .lrn leadership team:

.LRN 2.5.0 alpha 1 has been released but since our last calls for testing on Oracle have received no answer, we can not guarantee full support for oracle in this version.

Smoke tests have been carried out on version 9i but we're supposed to support the latest versions (i.e. 10g and 11g) and smoke tests are not enough to claim support.

This is a sad situation but unfortunately Oracle support is not possible without the commitment of the Oracle users in the .LRN community.