Forum OpenACS Development: Error in Event Package (Edit Event)

Hi everybody!

I'm using Events package to manage on-line subscriptions to some classes. It is a great package, it lacks some i18 but it is very easy to change it.

I've found a problem, when I tried to edit the events. So when I was to

http://MYSITEEVENTS/admin/event-edit?event_id=XXXXX

this error appears:

"

extra switch pattern with no body
while executing
"switch $which_type {
start_time {
set which_date "t.start_date"
set raw_date [db_string select_event_date {}]
}
end_time {
set wh..."
(procedure "events::event::make_event_date" line 4)
invoked from within
"events::event::make_event_date -which_type start_time -timespan_id $event_info(timespan_id)"
invoked from within
"if { [form is_request event_edit] } {
element set_properties event_edit venue_id -value $event_info(venue_id)
element set_properties event_edi..."
("uplevel" body line 196)
invoked from within

... more text ...

"

Anybody has the same problem? Some clues?

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi Cesareo,

No specific ideas on your bug but I wanted to mention that Solution Grove has been working on a package "dotlrn-eccomerce" that is designed to allow users to "buy" classes. It includes paying by credit card or with PO number. Features include:

Class size limits
Waiting lists
Application
Prerequist checking
Allow one person to register others (i.e. parent registering children)
Browse classes by calendar or category

We just launched Mass General Hospital and are launching Museum of Science Boston next Monday.

I don't know if it matches your use cases or if it would be overkill but its new code so I thought I'd let you know it exists. It is in CVS.

Hi Caroline.

It sounds good. I'll try to check it but in this server I don't have installed dotlrn, only openacs. My needs are too simple and Events package let me do it in a simple way.

Your package matches my needs so I'll take a look on it.

Thanks for your response

Cesareo

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Though not sure if this is interesting for the community but we have been developing a group administration package. It uses standard tables and is not integrated as acs objects or acs subsite functionality for parties, groups, ... this migration still needs to be done.

The idea behind this all was to have something called group type which lets admins define parameters like:
- max members
- min members
- enrollment begin
- enrollment end
- multiple memberships (allowed or not)
- participation type
- user can request membership
- member can invite user
- requests and invitations
- only admins manage memberships
- distribution type
- no preferences
- with preferences
- optimized using assignment algorithm
- first come first served
- randomized
- white- & blacklists
- confirmations (required or not)
- group creation (user or admin)

There are also wizards so that for different scenarios some values are preset. The scenarios we have this package in use is:

- group competitions - here students can create threir own groups, invite others, request membership. The created groups participate on regularily release online tests that are processed automatically and a ranking is generated for the groups. At the end of a semester the winning group is announced and receives a price.

- assigning students to groups with limited space. thus the admin defines the amounts and sizes of the groups available and each student passes his/her preference for the groups. A solutions is calculated by maximising the total preferences. The solution can be reviewed by the admin and the memberships are then created. If required a full dotlrn community is created for that group.

The package works well (we use it in production) but since it was started as a student project there quiete a bit of improvements required so that is smoothly integrated with OpenACS and dotLRN.

Currently I am working on the dotLRN integration. The package is already i18n-ized. I hope to finish an improved version by the end of month.

Where most help is needed is the migration to subsite parties, groups...

I will send you the link on the test server soon.

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Thinking about all this, I believe though we will continue using it, the package needs to be redesigned and rewritten on the long perspective, to make it more like an extensible framework. One could see the current solution more like a playground for ideas that came through our minds while developing the package. Now all concepts are there but the package is now like how the survey package was before it was replaced by the assessment package :)

For instance we started writing an algorithm package that shall encapsulate optimisation jobs so that future packages can benefit from that like

- room & seat reservation and bookings
- task assignment in project manager