Forum OpenACS Development: Replacing AOLserver with NaviServer
I'm using AOLserver but I'd like to update to NaviServer.
Does anyone has ever done that?
Any suggestions? Best practices?
Thank you in advance,
- installing naviserver
- adapting its config.tcl so it points to your OpenACS instance and database
- run naviserver instead of aolserver
For older OpenACS version on naviserver this can be more problematic, because some apis would not be there anymore, but first things first: which versions are you running?
I'm running AOLserver 4.5.1 with PostgreSQL 9.4 and OpenACS 5.8.0
The machine is Ubuntu 14.10. Do you know if there is an apt-get command for NaviServer? Or I can just download it from SourceForge?
Try to get naviserver running under your openacs and see what happens.
Yes, I did it and I strongly recommend it 😊 .
1. Install naviserver using install-sh
2. Test naviserver in another port (or wherever you can test a test server). Check config.file
3. Turn Aolserver off and test with NS
4. Check logs and if everything is fine, you can use NS (in port 80 or your production server)
If everything goes right and you don't have special needs it is a smooth transition (at least in my case)
 Install scripts in https://github.com/gustafn/install-ns