Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Request for Comment: Implementing Profiles in .LRN

Two questions:

Would grades and evaluations be subject to integration into a "Student Profile"?

Can someone give me an update/timeline on Complex Survey?

Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
I would also be interested in the evaluation features. An institute at my home university in Finland is willing to test dotLRN but what they most urgently need is a replacement for their old "essay handler", which means that students or groups of many students return their assignments through dotLRN and then get grades and feedback for their works. The system should also provide the lecturers means of keeping account of grades of (possibly) multiple assignments per student per class.

I read about features that I thought would correspond to these from dotLRN documentation but they were quite general and I didn't quite find an example of how this functionality is used in practise.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
For my class I did a terrible hack on ACES, which might actually still work with dotLRN (read: the method used). I used the file storage, added general comment facility to the page where you could view details about a file and added the rating system from Lars / AD to it. Completely ugly, but it worked for me.

Other then that I think some people are working on adding grading functionality to the survey module (though I'd prefer it to be seperate, so you can grade files as well). I think the idea is to add it to the curriculum module as well. And last but not least we have a testing module running for one of our clients, which probably needs some cleanup before beeing useful and only supports something like "passed" and "not passed".

But I would refrain from storing this information with the user profiles as talked about here, because we'd have more grades per user and role. It would be different if every class used it's own user profile (which you can think about), but I'd say keeping it seperate is a better way. And makes it easier to intergrate with SCORM (at least the way I envision handling the user profiles 😊).

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Carl,

Grades and evaluations would not be part of the student profile as it is intended here. It's definite worth doing and thinking about. Terminologically, I would make that part of a student's "Portfolio".