Forum OpenACS Development: Re: About: Weekly OpenACS Chat

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks,

I tried to access a number of times. The link apears to be dead, at least on my end.
irc://irc.freenode.net/#openacs

Any thougts on how to get on board? I am using http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/trillian/index.html as IM client. Personally I think it would be more effetivve to create an interface between OpenACS an Trillian, as the would allow us to, "talk" to Yahoo, MSN, AOL and ICQ . Jabber won't give this fucntionality!!

Thanks
Ben

PS.

What you are trying to achieve is what I have set up with the (crapy) deault Openacs 3.25.chat. Why not use our own system. I realize nobody likes it, but it realy works. It's not perfect, but that's what Malte has solved with his jabber application. (I mean if you are looking for a more sophisticated solution) I would advise to give this a try for internal communication with OpenACS hackers over the IRC soluttion!!!

During office hours I am in constant communciation with 25 Dutch secrataries around the country, have no problems with firewalls and no one complains about downloading software  (their system administrators won't allow). There are a few minor details that could greatly enhance functionality however.

The secretaries share files, the latest gossip, pictures and everyting else Open ACS allows. It would help to have a postgres port of the chat into 4.6, so if anybody is working on that I would like to hear. That would allow me to dump OpenACS 3.25.

Cheers

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
I think the link was not a very good idea exactly because of the situation we're seeing here. The link only works in Mozilla clients that have tho chatzilla client installed.

It won't work with other browsers unless you do some fiddling. Don't even know if it's possible with IE.

Regarding Trillian, read bugtraq. But if you want to insist on using it, then it can talk to IRC servers. Just go into your accounts and tell it to connect to irc.freenode.net as the server. And then join #openacs.

There's a link for IRC beginners at the openacs irc page.

On the integration issue, OpenACS is a server-side solution for web applications. Trillian is a client for multiple instant messaging protocols, and IRC. The AOLserver+Jabber integration was possible because Jabber also has a server. Not so with trillian.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Then let's change the link text to something like:

(direct link - doesn't work with all browsers)

Instead of removing it. In those cases when the link works it's an enormous time saver.

Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
With the exception of the link on https://openacs.org/community/ all links to the #openacs channel explicitly say that _only_ Mozilla users with a _complete_ install can use the direct link. Users with other browsers are instructed to open their favorite IRC client and connect to the irc.freenode.net server. Then join the #openacs channel.

Links to IRC.org to find a suitable IRC client and a short IRC primer at IRChelp.org are provided.

Ben, you'll find the same instructions at the top of this thread as well as https://openacs.org/irc/. Hope to see you at #openacs soon.

/Bart