Forum OpenACS CMS: CMS client and design meeting

Collapse
Posted by dave hill on
One of my current OACS 3.2.5 clients, pps.org, has hired Walter and I to do a specific resource center for the federal highway administration and state DOTs. Although they also have some expansive ideas about a general knowledge base, the core of this site will be content management. They've decided to go with OACS 5 on this. Thus, Walter and I have some funded time to work on CMS over the next couple months, and would like to coordinate with all CMS-interested folks. CMS will be a critical piece of the OACS future, and it seems like there's a great opportunity for combined effort and payoff here. Our timeline is relatively short, ~3 months, and so I'm going to try and keep things moving forward.

To begin with, I propose a solid tech design meeting soon, in Boston with some telepresence, on or before 12/16. Yes, that's mostly next week, but beyond that lies the holiday black hole. I envision an afternoon where we hash out the major issues and blocks of work leading to a releasable CMS package, and then discuss timeline and how to coordinate the work. I can offer a small room in Somerville, albeit near only bus and not subway, so alternatives welcome. Beer and food would be a high likelihood afterwards. Post your available times, if you can make it.

For that meeting, it'd be good to know the resources available more concretely, so if you have cycles or funding you can commit in the near term, please chime in.

Any takers?
Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hello Dave,

Maybe you can jumpstart again this project?

https://openacs.org/projects/openacs/packages/cms-future/

Mark and Carl the primary guys on UI part.  Right now we are a bit busy, although I will be getting some time again to help.

Currently right now I would like to revise a bit of the bcms-ui-base and incorporate some stuff from Carl's mockup.

I would like to see how things goes.  Please post any updates on the forum on how it goes, since I can't go to Boston.

My opinion regarding the current status of OpenACS cms:

- I think technically the CR is fine in general, maybe tweak here and there.  I don't see spending a great deal in improving in CR will do any good.
- an uber UI should not be aimed, as it seems to be a high goal.  A nice default UI for oacs should be to aim for.
- reusable pieces maybe better, rather than a reusable piece.

Collapse
Posted by Walter McGinnis on
As I mentioned in the Boston Pre-Social CMS Meeting thread, it would be great if we could tie a design meeting to a implementation bash.  It would be a good way to build/maintain momentum on the CMS project.

Maybe we should shoot for two days or so.

Geesh, all these "bashes" are starting to remind me of Boot Camp days at ole aD.  Anybody else remember the  "quarterly" Developers Conferences that aD had for a brief time?

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
Hi Dave - this sounds great! I am still working on some CMS funding possibilities. Greenpeace are interested but most likely nothing will come of that until early next year.

I would love to be involved in the meeting next week - either someone can fly me to Boston (from Sydney) ;) - or I can teleconference.

Mmm, pity I can't get to Boston, I miss riding the T and shopping in Filenes automatic discount basement :)

As per Jun's comments, the CR gives us 80% of what we need, it's really just UI that needs desiging and coding. Also some large chunks of code need to be moved from the old CMS to CR (where they belong).

Does your client or their site have any specific special CMS requirements or focusses?

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi Dave,

I talked to Al Essa and Sloan would again be a happy to provide a room if you want.

Caroline

Collapse
Thanks Caroline.  That sounds great.

Now we just need to decide on a day or two to get together!  I may even be able to fly out if we can decide soon.  Or perhaps Don and I can get together in Portland or Seattle and conference/irc in or something.

So, if people can chime in with dates they would be able to make it to Boston between say Dec. 11 through 17th that would be great.  If we want to combine it with an implementation bash, I would say that the 12th, and/or 13th are best.

Would Sloan be available on a Saturday and or Sunday?

Collapse
Posted by dave hill on
Jun & Mark, I definitely agree that the last cms-future meeting is a starting point, although launched forward of course by bcms.  I haven't looked at 0.3 much yet, but I believe the tcl API is 90% there, and indeed is largely an interface to the CR.  I would presume a major topic will be compound objects (images and includes) and type extension, and then on to determining a basic UI, or perhaps a UI toolkit/API.  If we had it in the morning (EST) could either of you guys be available on line or by phone?  (Pretty cheap rates on VoIP!)  It'd be great to have your direct feedback.

Caroline, thanks!  I'll contact you directly when we get a time.  Speaking of, will you be attending?  DaveB?  Any schedule preferences?

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
I think we can get a space at Sloan on the weekend. Not sure I'll personally be able to make it that weekend. I going out of time at some point around then so things are a bit up in the air.
Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Dave,

Please take note that bcms is currently pg only.  Although all queries are in their xql files.  Lars also made some changes so some plsql calls is auto generated for pg and oracle.  0.3 is just clean up, apm change and docs.

I will try to be available on line, I can't afford over phone.

Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
Count me in for both the meeting and the implementation bash, if that happens. I've been asked to put a basic CMS together ASAP for my organization's public web site. At this point, I'm planning to base it on BCMS so I'm willing to help out wherever needed.
Collapse
Posted by dave hill on
It looks like not enough folks are available for an in-person meeting, so let's do some IRC and get it logged.  Since we have 16 hours between key participants, it seems like evening EST is the best target.  Open to other suggestions.  I could do the following evenings:  fri 12/12, sun 12/14, mon 12/15.  Any other votes?
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Any of those evenings are good for me. We can probably just hold an IRC event right in the #openacs channel. That way it is logged in a familiar location.
Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi DaveH,

Will try to make it at the latter date.  Since my sched have changed this week, due to some family emergency.  For me I guess 12/15 is best.

Collapse

I can do any of dates Dave H listed above. Since Jun can only make it 12/15 though, I suggest we go with that one.

What about appending a CMS Implementation Bash to the Boston Bashing on January 23 - 25th? We could do some virtual ones via IRC in the meantime.

Collapse
Posted by dave hill on
Wellll,  I hate to confuse things, but my schedule has changed a bit; I'm dealing with a family emergency as well these days.  Is Tuesday 12/16 OK?  Again in the evening EST, thus morning on the 17th for Jun and Mark.  If so, I propose 7:30pm EST.
Collapse
So far, we only have Dave Bauer, Dave Hill, and myself confirmed for IRC on the #openacs channel of irc.freenode.net for Dec. 16th at 7:30 PM EST.  Anyone else?

Next step is to put together an agenda, wahoo!

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
I will try to make it.
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
I'll be there too.

38 Chester lives on through the net.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
I should be there on #openacs - I am currently on dial-up thanks to a nearby lightning strike, but hopefully my cable will be back up by then!
Collapse
Posted by Alfred Werner on
I will be there ..
Collapse
Sounds like we have a good group for tomorrow night.  I would encourage everyone to consider what they want to cover and also what other might ask of them.

I am particularly interesting in hearing about specific projects and their objectives.

Feel free to post agenda ideas here.  I'll kick it off with the following:

* compound content items

Thanks,

Walter

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
* site-node/folder mapping or merge

* safe way to include functionality and other content into a page or template

That's enough for now!

Other things to keep in mind, but should be client specific are user interface issues, especially scalability, handling or adding content, and handling revisions.