Forum OpenACS Q&A: Notifications on General Comments

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Has anyone done notifications for general comments yet?

I am upgrading a static site and the old site had one of those brain dead feedback forms that send an email to the admin and that it. I was thinking it would be much more usefull to be able to see all the feedback by page or all of the feedback a particular user sent.

So I'm thinking of adding notifications to general comments, having the subscription to the notification appear on the ETP page, and not displaying the comments anywhere.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Caroline, great idea. While you are at it, could you add RSS support as well 😊. It's great to get all the latest blogs via RSS but not be informed about additional comments on blog items ....
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Please talk to Dave Bauer before hacking on General Comments, since his contrib version incorporates a bunch of changes many of us talked about a few months ago.

Eventually we want to fold that into the mainstream and pushing the "real" general comments forward might make that job harder.

This might be a good time to take stock and figure out how much work is left to do to finish up Dave's improvements and backfit the work into the mainstream rather than have it sit and slowly rot away in contrib.

Collapse
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Hi Caroline,

Did you have any efforts in this task? I'm working on edit-this-page with a new website (you see a preview in http://www.intertexto.info, brazilian portuguese language) and notifications for general comments with edit-this page is a modification i intend to implement there.

Thanks,

\Orzenil

Hello,
David from Telefonica sent me the files that implement this (so its done!), and also the implementation needed for news & blogger (this is for HEAD), though I haven't found time to commit this, if you like I can send you this and then you commit it ...?
Collapse
Great news, Rocael!

I'll be very grateful if you could send the files to me.

I do not have write access to commit to cvs but i could test David's implementation in my installation and generate patches to bug-tracker to someone apply it for HEAD.

Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Please do talk with Dave about this. It would be wonderful to have this committed on HEAD, and integrated with Dave's changes. Any comment, Dave?
Collapse
Hi Rocael,

Thank you for sent me the files. Patch was generate from HEAD (2004-08-25) and it is on

https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/patch?patch_number=590

I tried this patch against a fresh install from HEAD on postgresql and it works fine. Now I have subscription to the notification appearing on the news page and lars-blogger page.

I'm going to do some tests along this week but i think enhancements made by David works good on head. Of course you or Dave could evaluate it better than I before decide applying it to HEAD.

Thank you very much

Thanks Orzenil, please let me know how does this goes, and if everything works ok I can review & commit by the weekend or so ....
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
The issue is that Dave's code is not on HEAD, but in contrib. But it's better to have the solution now than later, I guess.
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Orzenil: I believe you posted the wrong patch?
Collapse
Hi Jade,

sorry, you and Dave are right: i sent the wrong patch file. The patch i sent is a one long file containing all modifications made by David Ortega. This patch file add notifications not only on general-comments but file-storage, lars-blogger and news packages too.

Do you think i could resent this patch one by package? If you want you can navigate on my home test system where i applied this patches and evaluate it. I sent an email to mailto:jade@rubick.com with url an pass.

Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Orzenil: can you coordinate this with Dave?
Collapse
Posted by David Ortega on
Hi Orzenil,

Sorry but I didn`t know anything about this thread. Have you had any problem with the modified packages? As you says, files I sent to Rocael add notifications (implemented using service contracts) on g-c, lars-blogger, news an file-storage.

It is possible that some of them were based on obsolete versions of the original packages, so I can make the changes on the current versions (HEAD) or on Dave's code (is it in contrib?)

Thanks,

David

Collapse
Hi David,

I coordinate much of this with Rocael by e-mail. He sent your files to me and i generate patches against HEAD. I sent back patches to Rocael audit it and them commit if it works fine.

In my fresh installation from HEAD, patches were applied and behavior was what I expect but i think Rocael could decide better if it is applicable to cvs.openacs.org.

I think problems could be in file-storage because your modified files were made with version 5.1.0a3 and HEAD is on 5.1.0a5 (at least when i generate patch against it).

A major problem could be in generall-comments. The patch works for me but I use this package from HEAD and as Jade said Daveb is working in this package in contrib to remove dependencies from acs-messaging and others..

I asked Daveb in irc today session https://openacs.org/irc/log/2004-09-14 about it and he says changes could be better against generall-comments in contrib.

Maybe you could contact Rocael or coordinate with Daveb if you have time to make changes yourself. If I could help in this way please contact me.

Thanks

Orzenil