Forum OpenACS Q&A: Project Manager 1.0 Version Released

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I'm happy to announce that project manager has been released. It is at version 1.0.

Upgrades will be supported from this point on. I'm using it in production here at work.

I'm not sure how long it will take before it will be downloadable from the package repository. I committed the code to HEAD, and tagged it with openacs-5-0-compat  Hopefully, that should do be all that it takes to get it working. You can definitely get it from CVS, however.

I strongly recommend installing it within a subsite on your site. That way, you can easily add and remove people from the subsite, and they will be ''removed'' from project-manager.

There are definitely bugs in this product, so I'd welcome bug reports, patches, and collaboration. Please file bug reports in the Bug-tracker.

Thank you to everyone who helped me out with all my questions! I'm really happy to be able to share this with the community, and I look forward to seeing it improved and expanded upon. I have a long to-do list that I'm working on as we speak!

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Jade,

Great work and we thank you for donating it.

Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
Jade,

This is really cool.  I've just fetched it and installed it -- really, really good.  Will try to give it a bit of a run -- and will then share a more detailed experience.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Thanks everybody for the feedback!

I've released version 1.01, which fixes a potential serious bug that could occur when editing multiple tasks at the same time.

I've tagged this release as project-manager-1-0-1-final, as per the CVS instructions recommend. I strongly recommend the upgrade?

Did I mention that there is no warranty, and to use at your own risk? :)

Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
Jade,

I'm seeing several different errors (one shown below) and want to be certain that I have the right version. I pulled mine from HEAD and just updated an hour ago. project-manager.info says version is 1.01.

/R

====================================================

Aolserver 4.0r2

oacs HEAD (updated yesterday)

PG 7.3.4

RH 9

====================================================

Creating a project, fill in the blanks and submit:

ERROR:  Function pm_project__new_project_item("unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", timestamptz, timestamptz, "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", timestamptz, "unknown", "unknown", "unknown") does not exist
	Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument types
	You may need to add explicit typecasts

SQL: 
        select pm_project__new_project_item (
                'a',
                'a',
                NULL,
                'a',
                'a',
                'text/plain',
                to_timestamp('2004 04 30 00 00 00','YYYY MM DD HH24 MI SS'),
                to_timestamp('2004 04 30 00 00 00','YYYY MM DD HH24 MI SS'),
                null,
                null,
                '974',
                'f',
                '1',
                NULL,
                current_timestamp,
                '831',
                '192.168.1.133',
                '908'
        );
Collapse
I have installed my instance over the fresh download of 5.1 core + required dependencies (acs-datetime, acs-events, notifications, categories, organizations, logger, and acs-mail-lite AFAIR).  I suspect that your issue is in PG 7.3.4 -- there have been some changes to time/timestamp/etc. data types.

On a separate note, I am having problems logging in hours (but I have no problem changing percentage of completion), but can't post error message right now, as I am away from the other machine with OACS/PM instance.

One more note -- while installing 5.1 + deps, there were several times strange issues with the installer, whereby it would report an error -- but when looking at the logs no issues were recorded, albeit there were some extra messages.  I have not marked them down, unfortunately.  Will probably try to instantiate the same on another machine to see if it repeats, then would post them in bugtracker.

Collapse

This is the logger problem I have encountered:

Invalid switch: "-party_id"
    while executing
"logger::entry::new__arg_parser"
    (procedure "logger::entry::new" line 1)
    invoked from within
"logger::entry::new -entry_id $entry_id  -project_id $logger_project_id  -variable_id $variable_id  -value $value  -time_stamp $timestamp_ansi  -descri..."
    (procedure "pm::project::log_hours" line 18)
    invoked from within
"pm::project::log_hours  -entry_id $entry_id  -logger_project_id $project_id  -variable_id $variable_id  -value $value  -timestamp_ansi $time_stamp_ans..."
    invoked from within
"if { [string match [db_string check_if_exists "
        select 1
        from logger_entries
        where entry_id = :entry_id
    " -default "0"] "0"]} {

pm::pr..."
    ("uplevel" body line 7)
Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Andrei, you should definitely submit a bug to bug tracker for those things; there is a "Project Manager" component to book them against.
Collapse

Looks like 5.1 logger (or rather 1.0b3) has no -party_id switch for logger::entry::new proc. Naturally, removing the offending bit from pm::project::log_hours resolves the issue.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I submitted a patch for logger that adds a party_id switch for logger::entry. I think removing that switch is okay (I believe it is unnecessary). I added it in for bulk import of hours, so that you could (for example) import hours from ACS, as we did.

Now that I have commit rights, I'll commit that patch, bump up logger a version, and require that for the install. Or I'll remove it from project-manager.

Thanks for finding this.

I'm doing development on Postgres 7.3, so I'm not sure if Randy's problem is coming from using a different Postgres or something else.

Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
RE: Error creating a project

This is not a PG problem, but an incompat. with HEAD. Works fine under my CVS oacs-5-1 development instance.

/R

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Jade,

You made a comment at the start of this thread:

'I strongly recommend installing it within a subsite on your site. That way, you can easily add and remove people from the subsite, and they will be ''removed'' from project-manager'.

I am probably revealing the depth of my ignorance by asking this...but;

...what does mounting on a subsite provide that defining groups of users and granting permissions based on them does not?

I would personally find it really helpful if you could quickly summarise the benefits.

Thanks
Richard

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Jade, Thank you for contributing this to the community!
Collapse
...what does mounting on a subsite provide that defining groups of users and granting permissions based on them does not?

You would not need to define groups and assign permissions: subsite membership would do it for you.

There is nothing wrong with mounting it on the main site, it just makes permission management a little bit simpler and more automatic.

Collapse

Even a preview is not enough sometimes :)

This:

There is nothing wrong with mounting it on the main site, it just makes permission management a little bit simpler and more automatic.
should read:
There is nothing wrong with mounting it on the main site, but mounting it on a subsite makes permission management a little bit simpler and more automatic.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I've released project-manager 1.02, which correctly depends on logger 1.0b4, which was also bumped up a version.
Collapse
Posted by Chris Davies on
Can you provide an .apm url for this?

my system doesn't seem to think an update is available. (OpenACS 5.1.0)

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Hi Chris,

I think it takes the package repository about 12 hours to generate a new version of all the packages. So if you try again tomorrow, it should work, although I know very little about the package repository.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I've just released Project Manager 1.03 on HEAD. It should be available from the package repository soon as well.

Project manager now allows you to edit the project for a task. Lots of
other minor bug-fixes and UI improvements. No major datamodel changes, but there is an upgrade script run to allow you to change projects for a task.

Enjoy, and please submit bug reports (and fixes if possible).

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Jade,
thanks for this amazing tool!

How are you going to manage further releases of the PM?
are you putting 1.03 on openacs-5-1-compat?
Probably you just want the latest code to live on HEAD, but branch/tag the stable releases...?

what about upgrade between versions? (do you see too many datamodel changes?)

I'm about to use the PM in a couple of projects, so I'm willing to contribute into further development, plus know how this is gonna be managed...

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Hi Roc, thanks for the bugs you submitted on bug-tracker, and thank you also for your feedback here.

I did tag project-manager with openacs-5-1-compat.

I do need to branch and tag the stable releases.

So far, there has been only one datamodel change between 1.0 and 1.03. Of course, there was an upgrade script. There will be future data model changes, but I don't anticipate any major changes in the short term.

I'm very interested in improving the QA of the project-manager releases, so please let me know if you have any other suggestions, or want to help out. I'm glad to hear that so many people are using it!

One thing that I think would help would be some automated test cases for project-manager. I haven't had the time to write them yet, but that would really help improve things, I think.

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
We (Galileo) can keep using it and reporting bugs by now, but for sure we would like to contribute  with several enhancements in a couple of months, anyway the actual functionality is just great!
Collapse
Posted by Frentzen Brandom on
Could you pls also send me the program 'My Project Manager', thanx.(mailto:gauss59@yahoo.com.tw)
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Frentzen:

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you using OpenACS? If not, I think your posting is in the wrong place.