Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Tip#131 (rejected) auto-mount acs-templating

For the scirpts in acs-templating/www/scripts/xinha (poor name choice since we support tinymce and xinha now) for the image and file plugins, we need acs-templating to be mounted because they are tcl/adp templates.

I propose auto mounting acs-templating under /acs-templating for this.

We have been running with this on production sites for quite a while now, and I thought we had previously discussed or implemented this.

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
approved
Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
Idk, Dave - sounds like the idea of stuffing the wysiwygs into acs-templating is getting messy. Personally, I don't like the idea of auto-mounting acs-templating, at least not based on the rationale provided.

What about moving the editors to their own plugin type package that could be mounted if necessary? Define an interface for editors... store config info within each package instead of stuffing params into acs-templating for each new editor we want to support?

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
I overall agree with Michael.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I also agree.

I think to actually release 5.5 we need to compromise and do this and think about an ideal design for the future.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Here is where we originally dicussed mounting acs-templating.

http://www.openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=468672

I think we can move these into seperate packages, as they are optional, for the next release after 5.5 if someone wants to volunteer to come up with a design and do the work.

Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
Well, if we do that, you know what's going to happen - it'll get left behind and the result will be more cruft. There's too much of that already.

If others agree that this seems messy and is not an acceptable long-term solution, someone who's fiddled with the wysiwygs (and probably the person who originally stuck it all into acs-templating, if they're still around) should do some thinking about this now, while it's fresh and in front of us. Even if the work can't be done now, we should at least have an idea of how to move forward.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
OCT Meeting 2009-05-13 we decided anyone who uses the plugins can mount acs-templating manually, and we'll work on a better design for the future.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I added this to the OpenACS TODO https://openacs.org/xowiki/openacs-todo

OCT should review that after 5.5 release to determine what will be in the next release.