Forum OpenACS Q&A: ACS 4.5

Collapse
Posted by Vince T on
Hello.

Just used up the better part of the day to install and get to know
3.2.5 (first timer) and found the doc for the 4.5 release. Does
anyone know when the sources will be released? Am very excited...

Regards,

Vincent

Collapse
2: Response to ACS 4.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Jeroen Leijen on
Hi Vincent, Please see this thread. Cheers.
Collapse
3: Response to ACS 4.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I'm still working towards a Sunday release.

Hang-ups:

1. A late report of a bug in bboard that causes it to (gulp) periodically wipe out all general comments in the system.  It's been there since aD days and no one noticed, then within a day or two of each other Neophytos Demetrious and Bart Teeuwisse discovered and diagnosed the problem.  Vinod has submitted a patch for my enjoyment and I intend to look at it later today.  The seriousness of this bug makes it critical that the fix go in.

2. I've got a slight cold that's got me feeling a bit run-down.  If it doesn't get any worse we'll be OK for Sunday, I think, but if it does it might stretch out 'til mid-week.

Collapse
4: Response to ACS 4.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Just FYI from the documentation side,

- Vinod and I worked on fixing the "gremlins" on the documentation and Vinod found a work-around, but it seems that the work-around created gremlins elsewhere.

BTW, the gremlins show up _only_ under OpenACS 3.2.x installations, probably because of something in ad_html that I have yet to look at. They display normally in OpenACS 4.5 pre-beta installations.

- I have been converting the "ACS Permissions Tediously Explained" document from HTML to docbook so it can be included in the documentation (not that this should stop the beta release or anything, just FYI). It's coming along, and I'm about halfway done. It's darn tedious.

Collapse
5: Response to ACS 4.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Ahhh...I won't worry so much about the gremlins issue then.  It would be nice to get them weeded out so folks can read the docs here but the most important thing is that they look good on their sites.

Cool about perms docs ... there's templating and other docs that need backporting to XML, too, but all this can be of fairly low priority.

Collapse
6: Response to ACS 4.5 (response to 1)
Posted by David Walker on
The binary support module (1.1) fixes the gremlins issue if you put vt_enable_binary.tcl into your tcl folder. It renames your ns_return, ns_write, and ns_uuencode to use it's own version which are TclObjCommands.

https://openacs.org/new-file-storage/one-file?file_id=336

Note that I just added ns_uuencodebinary today from Vinod's patch. I'd appreciate any testing and feedback possible.
Collapse
7: BBoard bug (response to 1)
Posted by Titi Ala'ilima on
Can you give more information on this bboard bug?  Presumably this would affect all production sites in ACS, OACS, and MACS?
Collapse
8: Response to ACS 4.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Actually just PG bboard and it was (gulp, be brave Don!) introduced by me when I did my huge round of speedups.  Which is probably why no one's noticed until recently.

I've got Vinod's fix to look at and will study the code more myself to make sure I really understand what's going on ...

I was fixing a real bug when I introduced this one.  The old PG code that was originally ported by (sinner insert your name here!) deleted all acs-messages that were not created by bboard or general comments.  This was clearly wrong so I set out to fix it.

When I did I managed to improve it so now it deletes all acs-messages not created by bboard! Oops ... hey, at least it's more consistent now!

Collapse
9: Response to ACS 4.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
This bug should be fixed in CVS.  Unfortunately it involves a datamodel change so you can't just apply it to a live site ...
Collapse
10: Response to ACS 4.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Stan Kaufman on
Will you be posting a summary of the problem and the fix here or in SDM? Does this problem affect 3.2.5 or just 4.x? Thx for any info for those of us not tracking CVS.
Collapse
11: Response to ACS 4.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Sorry, this is strictly an OpenACS 4.x PG problem.
Collapse
12: Response to ACS 4.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Stan Kaufman on
Whew. Someday soon I hope to grow up to the point that I can move on to 4.x. In the meantime, I'm glad to know that this bullet isn't headed my way. Thanks!