Forum OpenACS Q&A: RFC: OpenACS Forums Restructuring

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on

I have an idea for forums restructuring that I would like to get some feedback on. Here is the structure that I would like to see:

• OpenACS Q&A - how to use OpenACS.
  • OpenACS Development - about developing OpenACS kernel and packages
  • .LRN Q&A - Any .LRN related issues (changed name from Development)
  • CVS Commits - as it is now
  • OpenACS Announcements - low traffic forum that all OpenACS users should be subscribed to. Here we announce incompatible source code changes, datamodel changes, governance changes etc.

I think the current Test forums and the CMS forum should go away as there is significant risk people aren't subscribed to them and miss important postings.

Comments?

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Hi Peter,

Seeing that the categorization package is not yet available for OpenACS.org, I still propose one forum for each main documenation area:

end users docs

admin docs

developer docs

As you know, maintaining documenation requires much effort. A continual improvement cycle can help alleviate the load on documenation writers. Users contribute to the documenation effort by posting questions and discussing topics in appropriate forums. Documenation maintainers regularly skim the forums for new content. Each forum creates a natural scope or topic boundary that matches the docs --helping to reduce the  load on documentation writers. This configuration has also been requested by end-users and admins for legitimate reasons that shouldn't need to be repeated here.  It's also common practice in more traditional writing environments.

To the extent that dotLRN has separately maintained documentation, equivalent  forums should be dedicated to it.

There have been recent suggestions to add forums for packages. I think the benefits of package-focused forums is  debatable if carried to the creation of a forum for each package --especially in context with your concern of missing important posts.

Regarding "best practices" of which roles subscribe to which forums, it seems that end-users would subscribe to the end-user forum, admins (and admin newbies) would subscribe to end-users and admins forums, and developers (and developer newbies) would subscribe to all three forums (or if busy, perhaps just developers forum).

Isn't "OpenACS Announcements" better handled by the news package implemented on OpenACS.org?

Collapse
Posted by John Pickett on
Peter,

I'm new to OpenACS and .LRN, but as I've tried troubleshooting my .LRN installation I've noticed that my issues are split almost 50/50 between something to do with OpenACS and something specific to .LRN.  Whether this extrapolates to a larger audience, I'm not sure.

I guess what I'm saying is that some people who have issues with either system aren't going to be able to distinguish if it's part of the OpenACS framework or part of something .LRN itself is providing.  This may be reason to keep OpenACS and .LRN Q&A together, however the volume may be too great to do so.

I just wanted to mention that though because I'd hate to be volleyed back and forth between forums on an issue I have 😉

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks,

For my Userguide I am using glossary to achieve what you are discussing. http://snorri.mine.nu/helpforaday/glossary/glossary?item_id=17163

- It gives a simple A-Z to my system.
- The add comment function allwos user comments
- The publishing restrictions allow me to have other people to work on documentation.

Maybe my requirements are not so demaning than developers needs, but it does help to maintain an easy to understand and update structure.

Just a thought

Ben

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
I just like your idea Peter, it's cool to have an OpenACS Announcements where all the active community developers post things like you mentioned.
Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Renaming ".LRN Development" to ".LRN Q&A" and disabling ".LRN Testing" sounds good Peter, but having a forum dedicated to announcements seems kind of strange. How far along is Simon on his improvements to lars-blogger?
Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Torben, I still see four main documentation areas: end users (with three sub-divisions: visitors, registered users (people who log in), and people who have limited admin power), site admins, package developers, and kernel or "acs core" developers. The core docs don't have anything for end users. I know the package maintainers are working on per-package documentation, and I think it should be split up along these lines.
Collapse
Carl,
I made the changes that you approved of... Now, what about OpenACS Testing and OpenACS CMS? Judging by the number of threads in OpenACS CMS it's basically never used. Also for both these forums we have the problem that developers may not be subscribed to them and postings are not necessarily within the intended topic.

I am assuming that disabled forums will still be searchable.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Peter,

I think results for CMS and the others will stll return search results, but noone will be able to read them, it will lead to a 404 page.

We need to  combine this content into one of the existing forums, and probably provide a redirect from the old URL.

Please reinstate these until the issues are resolved. You can disallow posting to them, and possibly rename them CMS (inactive, use OpenACS General) or something like that.

Thanks!

Collapse
thanks Dave!

I re-enabled the forums, set posting policy to closed, and was positively surprised to see that they still didn't show up on the index page (or is it cached?).

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Peter,

Very strange. Looks like there is some bugs in forums, or in the way we are using it. I tried changing posting policy to Open, and the forum reappeared. I set "Users can create new threads" to No, but it still allows postings.

So we'll need to look into it further.

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Hi Joel,

I've always seen the need for the 3 forums, but think its worth trying a 4th forum for package developers. Given admin UI's have been lacking in packages (others' comments), package developers might get some insight/direction/input from subscribing to the admin forum also.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
It looks like forums does not currently support moving messages.

On postgresql forums maintains its own tree_sortkey in the forums_messages table. There is only an insert trigger. It needs an update trigger to support moving messages.

Also, we'll need a UI to support moving messages. The more forums we have the more important this becomes.

Until we can move the messages from the disabled forums, I think we need to keep it.