(Sketch for) OpenACS Home
OpenACS (Open Architecture Community System) is a toolkit for building scalable, community-oriented web applications. OpenACS is the foundation for many products and websites, including the .LRN e-learning platform. OpenACS is open source and is available under the GNU General Public License.
Why use OpenACS?
OpenACS is unique in the breadth of services it offers developers and administrators. Millions of dollars and decades of developer time have gone into the maturation of OpenACS.
How do I install OpenACS?
The installation documentation contains all the necessary steps to install OpenACS on a large variety of systems. There is also a Windows Installer and other packaged installations openacs-system-install. Also Check the installation requirements before installing. The current stable release is OpenACS 5.9.0 (cvs aliases).
How do I work with OpenACS?
For professional help, contact one of the OpenACS companies.
One of the strengths of the OpenACS project is the community surrounding it:
- Discussion forums
- IRC at
- Chatroom logs and today's log
- File Storage
- How to contribute
- Test servers
- CVS Browsers options: Browser, Navi.cx, Xarg
- Technical Decisions on the direction of OpenACS, made by the community-elected OpenACS Core Team.
This release contains many security and performance improvements as well as new functionality. The new release differs from OpenACS 5.8.1 in the following points:
- PostgreSQL enhancements and cleanups to improve performance and maintainability of the basic data model
- Greatly improved HTML validity and protection against XSS attacks.
- Improved theming support to create responsive interfaces.
- Various new functionalities to ease debugging and to improve performance.
Altogether, OpenACS 5.9.0 differs from OpenACS 5.8.1 in more than 100,000 modifications contributed by 4 committers. All packages of the release were tested with PostgreSQL 9.4.* and Tcl 8.5.*.
Many thanks to all who helped in this effort via direct contributions, bug-reports or testing!
Iuri Sampaio, 1 day ago
Maurizio Martignano, 4 days ago
Brian Fenton, 4 days ago
Frank Bergmann, 1 week ago
Iuri Sampaio, 1 week ago
Gustaf Neumann, 2 weeks ago
Brian Fenton, 2 weeks ago
Gustaf Neumann, 1 week ago
Héctor Romojaro, 2 weeks ago