Forum OpenACS Q&A: Problem Installing BCMS on 5.0.2

Collapse
Posted by Steve Manning on
Hi

I have installed BCMS and BCMS-UI-Base on a clean 5.0.2 installation using the application installer. I have copied the templates directory from ui-base to the root (www/) as per https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=115763 I have mounted the bcms on /bcms and bcms-ui-base on /content but now I'm a bit stuck.

Do I set the root folder to /content as well?

Do I set the template folder to / or should I create a subfolder in the CR called /templates and point the template folder to that?

I have tried all permutations that I can think of and all I seem to get is 'file not found'.

If I point the root folder to /content (the sames as the ui-base) it finds and runs the index.vuh. Putting debug into the index.vuh and default-template.tcl shows that index.vuh gets as far as the rp_internal_redirect $file with $file set to the correct path of /templates/public/default-template but the default-template doesn't seem to be called (at least my ns_log message at the beginning doesn't get fired).

Am I missing something blindingly obvious? Any and all help appreciated.

- Steve

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Steve,

If bcms-ui-base is not yet properly setup.  That means it still does not know which root folder and template folder it uses.  It will redirect to /admin.  This is where you set the root folder and template folder.  Normally you would want to create a sub folder for each and set those.  But it can serve the content from CR's root folder.

I am not sure when DaveB will put xcms on cvs.  This will be the next ver. of bcms-ui-base.

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
btw should copy /packages/bcms-ui-base/templates to /templates not /www/templates.
Collapse
Hi Jun

I have set the root folder to /content and the template folder to /templates. /content is also the mount point for bcms-ui-base. I'm not sure if this is correct but this way it picks up the index.vuh file.

If I make the root folder point to another CR folder such as /stuff and I then ask for that url - www.foo.bar/stuff - what should I expect to see cos all I get is 'file not found'? How do I add initial content to the root folder?

<btw should copy /packages/bcms-ui-base/templates to /templates not /www/templates.> Yes that is what I have becuase by default /www/ is the page root.

Thanks

- Steve

Collapse
Jun

Don't know if this is significant but according to the .info file, the OpenACS installer is pulling down version 0.2.

- Steve

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
bcms should be 0.3 its likely you will need to cvs.  since when i committed that on head, 5.0 was already branched.

for bcms-ui-base 0.2 should be ok.  maybe you can get the head.

Collapse
Jun

I have pulled the cvs versioned of bcms, bcms-ui-base and bcms-ui-wizrd and things are going better now. I'm concentrating on ui-wizard as that seems to be a good starting point for what we are trying to achieve.

I'm running into a lot of minor errors (incorrect proc calls etc) with ui-wizard which I'm steadily fixing. The cvs version is 0.2. Is this out of sync with the bcms package and is there a newer version available? If not do you want my fixes?

- Steve

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Steve,

Yes ui-wizard is out of sync.  It only works with 0.1 bcms.  Yes please I can accept the fixes.  Better yet if you would want.  You can be the maintainer of it, as I don't have time to maintain it anymore.

I started to keep a list of what changed when I started working on bcms, so maybe later I can upgrade bcms-ui-wizard.  To to lack of time I was not able to do it.  Would you like to have the list?  Also would you like to be the maintainer of bcms-ui-wizard?  I am not sure regarding the cvs access, but I think the OCT will be kind enough to grant access to contrib.

Collapse
Jun

Yes please, any documentation, lists, scribbles on the back of fag packets would be gratefully received.

I'll gladly have a go at maintaining bcms-ui-wizard indeed I'm looking to extent its capabilities for the project on which  I'm working. Does anyone else have any plans for ui-wizard? I know that there has been plenty of discussion on the CMS direction for OACS, does ui-wizard still fit in with those plans?

Whilst I have your attention, do you always need a bcds instance for each root folder of bcms that you want to serve? I'm trying to understand how bcds fits into the picture and if its always required?

Also more specifically, I've hit a problem with page-revision-wizard. On clicking finished its telling me that page_id needs to be passed. As far as I can see it is there so I'm a bit stuck as to the cause of this. Any thoughts?

- Steve

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Steve,

I have committed my notes here

http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/contrib/packages/bcms-ui-wizard/www/TODO.txt?view=markup

The first part may not be interesting for you.  You can see some changes I have done on bcms, so you can start porting bcms-ui-base to these new changes on bcms.  It may not be fully updated, but its a good start.  On the last part of my notes are the procs I removed from bcms. I suggest to put them on bcms-ui-wizard/tcl.  Change the procname and use bcms::ui::wizard namespace or whichever you want.

Although there will be a few procs from bcms that will then be move to CR.  But its not yet there, I suggest you upgrade bcms-ui-wizard to bcms first.  Only change should only be the tcl proc name.

Yes bcms-ui-wizard will require a bcds.  bcms-ui-base has a bcds integrated in.  But bcms-ui-wizard sticks to be only a admin interface for CR folder it is managing.

Check this docs for better understanding.
http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/contrib/packages/bcms/www/doc/

If you have bcms installed you can view it on your instance.  On youropenacs/doc/bcms

I am not sure regarding the page_id.  Hmmm I wonder if its a bug on the new wizard code I made.  Can you change your wizard-procs.tcl on acs-templating/tcl to a very old one?  Say oacs 4.5?

I thank you for taking this big challenge of upgrading bcms-ui-wizard.  Read the TODO.txt especially for the api changes that has to do with changing their semantics.  So the upgrade may not be straight forward.

I will try to help as much as possible. Its the least I can do after not yet upgrading bcms-ui-wizard.  Just keep on posting on this thread.  In case I did not reply on your last question.  Email me I might have missed your post.

Collapse
You can see some changes I have done on bcms, so you can start porting bcms-ui-base to these new changes on bcms.

Am I fixing bcms-ui-base as well as ui-wizard now? ;o)

I suggest to put them on bcms-ui-wizard/tcl. Change the procname and use bcms::ui::wizard namespace or whichever you want.

Funnily enough I actually already did this. Great minds think alike.

Yes bcms-ui-wizard will require a bcds.

I have that working now. Could you explain the difference in the two bcds parameters - bcms_root_folder_id and root_folder_id? How are they used by the bcds?

Also, I have changed the call in the bcds default-sidebar template from bcms::folders::list_folders_and_ancesters to bcms::folders::tree_folders. Is this correct?

I am not sure regarding the page_id. Hmmm I wonder if its a bug on the new wizard code I made. Can you change your wizard-procs.tcl on acs-templating/tcl to a very old one? Say oacs 4.5?

I've stepped over this for now. I'll come back to it soon and try that.

I thank you for taking this big challenge of upgrading bcms-ui-wizard. Read the TODO.txt especially for the api changes that has to do with changing their semantics. So the upgrade may not be straight forward.

Yes, I'm beginning to appreciate just how big it is :o)

- Steve

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Steve,

I was not able to commit the lastest ui-base changes.  The fix are minor, I think Dave fixed some of it.  He then now carried to do a lot of things, some of the things I wish have done.  And ui-base will evolve to xcms.  As of now ui-base is just awaiting xcms, so no need to fix it.

bcms-ui-* and bcds are supposed to be only related because both uses the CR.  In theory they should not care about each other.  So bcms-ui-* can manage a different folder while bcds can serve a different folder.  There can be multiple instances of bcms-ui-* of different UI, since maybe repository is being manipulated by different things.  And one bcds serving the whole repository.  Or vice versa, one bcms-ui-* that is managing content and is being served by different bcds.  One bcds is for intranet, another for public, even for rss, wap, etc.

Hmmmm I think I did not answer your question after rereading your post.  I think they are redundant!  If not root_folder_id is maybe the template root id.  I think those need to change.  Can you change those to template_folder_id and root_folder_id in case they are indeed being used that way?  To make it consistent with bcms-ui-base/xcms.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Manginelli on
I've been studying the CR and I'm just starting to play with BCMS/BCDS.  Are any of your improvements/bug fixes (or advice!) available yet, Steve?

I don't see any recent commits in the BCMS/BCDS CVS...

Collapse
Dave

I have been working through bcms-ui-wizard and getting it working with 5.x, I have also made a few tweaks to bcds.  I'm using the bcms-ui-wizard as the basis for a site we are doing. I have plans to incorporate more stuff into it but I'm not really sure where to go with this as I could end up with a completely different beast at the end. I could maintain a working copy of the orginal bcms-ui-wizard or if Jun has no objections I could commit whatever it evolves into and lose the original.

There is also the added complication of recent discussions on the direction of CMS on OACS and the plan to merge the BCMS functionalilty into the CR and indeed the direction that BCMS is taking. I also don't think Ive got permission to commit anything to the CVS but I'll send you a tarball of what I have done so far if you would like it.

- Steve

Collapse
Posted by Dave Manginelli on
Thanks for the offer, Steve.

I would really appreciate a tarball of whatever you can pass along...

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Steve,

I have no problems in letting you manage bcms-ui-wizard.  In fact I would love it if you can do that.  If you do not have commit privs on cvs.  I can always commit it for you.  Just give me the tarball and I will commit it.  I think your version will always better than what we have in cvs.

All,

DaveB is working on xcms which is the next version of bcms-ui-base.  However since there is a lot of changes we will have to wait for a bit.  Deds is fortunately working on bcms-ui-base on a 5.x installation.  So we should be getting a short term solution in this week or next week.  We will commit a newer versio of bcms-ui-base soon.

The head version of bcms is still the latest and greatest.  So no problems with that.  Bug fixes are welcome.

Collapse
Jun

The original bcms-ui-wizard is basically working with 5.x and BCMS 0.3 now. At the moment I've added one new feature which allows you to view the whole content tree and pick pages/sections for editing. On BCDS I have pinched the setup forms from bcms-ui-base to set the root folder id.

As you need at least one BCDS with its root folder pointing to the root content folder for ui-wizard I'm considering putting the equivalent of bcds into ui-wizard and moving the ui wizard pages into a /admin. This will make it easier to setup.

As I don't have commit priv on CVS, so I will send my stuff direct to you for you to commit. I've made a small change to one proc in bcms - adding test-column and test-value parameters to bcms::widget::option_list to allow the returned list to be filtered on any returned column (I'm using it on content_type to filter the returned list to specific types).
I'll send you a diff of this and any other bcms mods I need to make.

- Steve

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Steve,

Thanks very much.  You can do whatever so see fit for bcms-ui-wizard.  One drawback though if moving to /admin, you will need users to have admin privs.  So that may make your permission options less flexible in the future.

As for the packages, send me a diff and a tar ball.  It might be easier for me to commit the files itself.  Will just use the diffs to check up on things.

I will look into more of the changes in bcms.  Again thanks very much, please also kindly add youself to the .info file of bcms-ui-wizard.