- OpenACS toolkit en:openacs-subsystem
- an interpretive, markup language en:tcl
- a robust, http server en:aolserver
- a mature, relational database management system (RDMS) en:postgresql or en:oracle that follows the SQL standard (Why not MySQL?) and uses a procedural language (PL/SQL or PL/pgSQL).
- unix-like operating system en:os-nix
And works well with minimum hardware requirements (en:docs-install).
Chart Showing the parts of OpenACS
The blue dotted line hints at the path of a dynamic page request --from client to server and back. Each of the subsystems on the left can be directly accessed by a page request, whereas the database is only indirectly accessible. The arrows represent the pools of database connections that help manage queries --one of the key reasons that OpenACS performs well.