Notes on an OpenACS wrapper for YUI
- There is some consensus to use YUI over other JS libraries, e.g. jQuery.
- Use most complete version - YUI library
- YUI Loader for dynamic loading. Each wrapper function in OpenACS loads only the YUI components that it needs. This is preferable to sending the full 250 KB gzipped library for every page.
- Download YUI sources from package directory or Yahoo's CDN.
- Always combine sources into one HTTP download if using CDN
- UI tests (Selenium IDE/RC) should be written for all wrappers to facilitate testing during development and when YUI is upgraded.
- Wrappers will be defined by specific tasks like perform an AJAX request and return the response into a div. The wrapper will take care of loading all required sources into the page.
YUI Theme [Suggestion]
- Provide a package openacs-theme-yui, which is based on the YUI CSS Foundation
nlunt: A word of warning regarding YUI Loader: