Filtered by category HOME, 1 - 6 of 6 Postings (all
Created by gustaf neumann, last modified by Gustaf Neumann 21 Aug 2020, at 04:54 PM
This is the OpenACS Wiki system, built with the xowiki package. This wiki contains user documentation, how-tos, and tips and tricks related to OpenACS. It also serves as a collaboration area for OpenACS contributors.
Recent Wiki Page Edits:
Tutorials for Administrators
Created by OpenACS community, last modified by Gustaf Neumann 05 Apr 2018, at 01:56 PM
Tutorials for OpenACS development
Other related tutorials
See also: OpenACS Mentorship Program
Other useful resources
Created by OpenACS community, last modified by Benjamin Brink 22 Jul 2017, at 11:49 PM
OpenACS for everyone
OpenACS (Open Architecture Community System) is:
- an advanced toolkit for building scalable, community-oriented web applications.
- a robust, scalable framework (see: en:openacs-system) for building dynamic content driven sites and enterprise-level web applications.
- a collection of pre-built applications and services that you can build on to create a custom web-site or application.
- derived from the ArsDigita Community System (ACS). ArsDigita (now part of Red Hat, Inc.) kindly made their work available under the GPL, making all of this possible.
Through a modular architecture, OpenACS has packages for user/groups management, content management, e-commerce, news, FAQs, calendar, forums, bug tracking, wiki (XoWiki), full-text searching etc. See OpenACS repository.
Use the OpenACS fourms to contact the OpenACS community. We welcome your feedback and can help with your OpenACS endeavors. Commercial support is also available.
What others say about OpenACS
Others' descriptions of OpenACS
Testimonials posted to forums on OpenACS
History of OpenACS
See: History of OpenACS en:docs-history
Bibliography and Credits
See: Documentation Credits en:doc-credits
Created by OpenACS community, last modified by Benjamin Brink 07 Jul 2017, at 07:15 AM
Getting admin-level help
Setup database environment variables. See end of https://openacs.org/doc/openacs.html,
https://openacs.org/doc/backup-recovery.html, and https://openacs.org/doc/snapshot-backup.html
For creating custom pages, see developer tutorials https://openacs.org/doc/tutorial.html
Administrating a system
These OpenACS packages are useful for diagnostics and development:
Bibliography and Credits
Created by OpenACS community, last modified by Benjamin Brink 03 Jul 2017, at 09:29 PM
Documentation Credits doc-credits
Documentation Project Documentation_Project
Created by OpenACS community, last modified by Gustaf Neumann 20 Apr 2017, at 06:44 PM
OpenACS for developers
Besides the quality components of Openacs (See: en:openacs-system), OpenACS has these enterprise-quality features for developers:
- high-performance XML data processing with easy, powerful Tcl scripting functionality using en:tdom (as of OpenACS version 5.0)
- XOTcl object-oriented scripting, which combines the ideas of scripting and object-orientation in a way that preserves the benefits of both (as of OpenACS version 5.3)
- Automated testing (see: en:Testing_with_Selenium and en:testing-with-tclwebtest)
- Flexible and easy caching, for improving the performance of your websites. https://openacs.org/doc/tutorial-caching.html
- programming in Tcl with AOLserver - A lightweight, simple, extremely fast scripting language that features a clean, easy-to-understand API (Application Programming Interface) for generating websites from the database. (See: https://openacs.org/doc/programming-with-aolserver.html )
- pooled DB connections (which reduces database connection startup and tear down time), much like the technique JDBC uses, but predating it by many years. (See: http://www.aolserver.com/docs/admin/dbadmin.html#2 )
- Component package system for easy installation and upgrading of packages (See: https://openacs.org/doc/apm-design.html
- Upgrade paths for code and database schemata (See: https://openacs.org/doc/tutorial-upgrade-scripts.html )
- Full internationalization, including an excellent workflow for translating content into new languages. (See: https://openacs.org/doc/i18n.html )
- Fully functional content repository and content management system. (See: https://openacs.org/doc/cms/cms-intro.html )
- An elegant templating system that separates code from presentation of content. (See: https://openacs.org/doc/templates.html )
- An object system that resides on top of the database, permitting site developers to create complex applications using an object API. Examples include an object level permissions system, audit trails, and ability to relate one object to another. (See: https://openacs.org/doc/object-system-requirements.html )
- OpenACS is released as open source under the GPL license, with millions of lines of open-sourced applications available to use as examples. There are also pre-written packages for you to use or adapt.
will be pulling in docs from here: https://openacs.org/doc/acs-package-dev.html and https://openacs.org/doc/acs-plat-dev.html
Integrated Development Environments (IDE)
These text editors are commonly used when coding on OpenACS:
Bibliography and Credits